From: leif@ambush.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc,news.misc
Subject: Worlds best Bulletin Board Systems - let's all make it!
Date: 16 Mar 88 10:14:07 GMT

The BBS society is growing, if not exploding, these years. Even in
small countries like Denmark we see new BBS's pop up almost every day
thanks to the (famous) people who made f.x. OPUS PD!

But does OPUS, Fido, ... satisfy our needs or is it just that they are
PD programs that make them so succesfull as they seem to be? (Before
anybody send me hate-letters, let me note that I'm a Sysop myself on a
OPUS BBS and I love it - really - but I'm missing something!!).

I'm going to collect ANY ideas that can be used to make worlds best
BBS! If YOU have: any ideas, know a system,  hate a system, technical
suggestions, anything, ... ... ... please let me know!

PS: I'm NOT going to claim copyright (please laugh! :-) ) on any of
the informations passed! On the contrary because I'm not sure that I
am going to make WBBS myself ((c) Copyright 1988 by Leif Andrew Rump,
All Rights Reserved -  it happens everytime i write copyright!). I
would jump in joy if I one day receive a BBS that please the user AND
sysop in any way!!!

I'm listening!

Leif Andrew Rump alias ABC Sysop (+45 6 80 05 44, 24h, 300/1200)

==== RECEIVE ====

>From slocum  Sat Mar 19 23:45:49 1988

One thing I'd like to see is mail between users on the same system,
without having to use private messages on some default board.  Also,
automatic checking for mail in the netmail boards would be handy.
The local FIDO/OPUS BBS has a routine that lists the names of people
who have netmail, but what I'm thinking of is more like the Unix
shell "You have new mail." message.  I've used a brain-damaged BBS
called T-Net (actually pretty nice, if simple) that has some fairly
good editing routines you can use when typing posts.  I'd like to
see something better than the current "let's just retype the line"
editor on OPUS.  I also don't like the way that a blank line is
used to end an Enter session.  I usually like to put blank lines
in my messages, and it gets really annoying to need to put a space
on the line, so it doesn't get read as the end.  The mail on T-net
allows you to reply, save, delete messages.  (To try out these
features, call the Steve Jackson Games BBS in Austin (yes, it's
PC-Pursuitable) at (512) 447-4449 (8-none-1)) (this bbs is actually
a PC rewrite of the original Apple II T-Net. The original also
had a heirarchical file system in which you could get a menu of
the areas in one level, select one, and get a list of the areas at
that level, etc. until you find a file and print it.  This is also
nice, but hasn't been implemented on the PC rewrite yet.)

---- ANSWER ----

Your letter puzzled me, because almost anything you described is
implemented on my Opus-system (except for the tree structure), but
please correct me if I'm wrong.

>One thing I'd like to see is mail between users on the same system,
>without having to use private messages on some default board.

Unless the sysop only allows private letters, then it should be (I
don't know why it shouldn't) possible to send letters to a specific
person and still allow other's to read them. I miss a feature to send
letters to more than one person at a time - forming a group.

>                                                              Also,
>automatic checking for mail in the netmail boards would be handy.
>The local FIDO/OPUS BBS has a routine that lists the names of people
>who have netmail, but what I'm thinking of is more like the Unix
>shell "You have new mail." message.

On ABC BBS and a lot of other boards in Denmark we use programs like
MailChek to show each user any pending mail. They don't know anything
about other user's mail.

>                                     I've used a brain-damaged BBS
>called T-Net (actually pretty nice, if simple) that has some fairly
>good editing routines you can use when typing posts.  I'd like to
>see something better than the current "let's just retype the line"
>editor on OPUS.  I also don't like the way that a blank line is
>used to end an Enter session.  I usually like to put blank lines
>in my messages, and it gets really annoying to need to put a space
>on the line, so it doesn't get read as the end.  The mail on T-net
>allows you to reply, save, delete messages.

On Opus (v1.03b) it's possible to choose between two different
editors. Lore (Line ORiented Editor) and Oped (Oansi P? EDitor - I
can't remember). Oped is a full screen-editor, using VT-100 and/or
WordStar keystrokes. It's quite usefull but you need at least a 1200
baud modem (One of my user screamed to use this editor - I warned him,
and after trying to write a letter in Oped at 300 baud he retired!!!)

---- RECEIVE ----

>From slocum  Tue Mar 22 07:39:42 1988

>Unless the sysop only allows private letters, then it should be (I
>don't know why it shouldn't) possible to send letters to a specific
>person and still allow other's to read them. I miss a feature to send
>letters to more than one person at a time - forming a group.

On my local system, board 1 is a general purpose board that you
check to see if anyone sent you a personal message.  There is no
"Mail" facility, just a another board used for mail.  You still
need to select that board to read your messages.  What I'm looking
for is a mailer that is automatically called when you log in and
lists the mail you have received, allows you to reply, delete,
file away for future reference, the messages you've received.

>On Opus (v1.03b) it's possible to choose between two different
>editors. Lore (Line ORiented Editor) and Oped (Oansi P? EDitor - I
>can't remember).

Oped is probably OPus EDitor.  What I'd like are some enhancements
to LORE.  At the moment, the "edit" command allows you to rewrite
the line in question, with ^u used to copy what is already there.
How about some substitution, global replacement, etc., including
more commands to operate on the whole message.   Also, like I said
before, the space character is terrible for switching between
input and edit modes.  How about a solitary period in column 1?

---- ANSWER ----

Now I understand!  :-)  That could be nice, but I think there is one
drawback: What about the mail to everybody (All)? Should everybody
receive it or do you have to, as normal, to go into the boards
mailarea? I think that mail send, not to a specific person, will end
up gathering dust!

About the editor. Both Lore and Oped (OPus Editor, of course) is so
small because they are simple, and I think a lot of people want it to
be that way. It's anoying to wait another 30 seconds to do something
specific on the board, but I sure agree in you opinion abort the
"escape character", a full stop alone would be better, but but but,
what about the new user who haven't read the manual, how should he
know? I'm thinking of letting the user define his/hers own escape
character, but that's just one more menu-entry! Life is hard!!!

---- RECEIVE ----

>From slocum  Wed Mar 23 07:19:55 1988

If you're sending a message to everyone, it logically belongs in
a board.  But private mail to one (or a few) user(s) should be separate.

As for editors, I don't think that adding a substitute command would
be that hard or time-consuming.

==== RECEIVE ====

>From robertb  Sun Mar 20 00:15:18 1988

I just saw your posting about the World's Greatest
BBS.  Could you please send me a copy of the
suggestions that you receive?

---- ANSWER ----

Sure, no problem, but what are you going to do with it (stupid
question, but actually I'm curious to know what's going to happen to
all this!).

==== RECEIVE ====

>From davidsen  Mon Mar 21 20:04:08 1988

  I would like very much to stay in touch with you. I started defining
the perfect BBS a year ago, and got somewhat sidetracked. If you would
like to see the partial design document, just ask.

  The goals of my system were to be easily usable and easily operable,
since I have to be the operator. Another design goal was to reduce
This implies a good organization of the messages and files by using
database techniques.

  The problem which was not resolved was killing linked messages. If
messages are linked in such a way that the reader may follow responses,
then what happens to the responses if the original poster wants to kill
his/her message? There are three possibilities: refuse the poster a
chance to delete the message, even if it is known to contain bad
information, allow the poster to kill the original, and delete all
replies to the original, or delete the original (or its text) and leave
the responses dangling. I found all to be unacceptable for one reason or
another.

  I'll bet you get a lot of responses. Perhaps you will want to start a
mailing list for this discussion...

---- ANSWER ----

I would love to see your design document! I'll keep all the
information I get (even the bad ones) and hopefully one day WBBS will
go into the air! (If you want to I will pass usefull information on to
you so you could make a comment or two to(?)).

A comment to your delete problem: If the user really want's to delete
his/her message, then let him/her! Opus marks any letter that have an
reply with the number of the reply, so it's easy to see if there is a
reply. Or, and that's a better choice I think - don't allow the user
to delete messages! The sysop is then responsible to remove any
message(s) that isn't relevant anymore.

I will make a mailing list as soon as possible (there have been, until
now, only 3 readers, but it just started yesterday so I'll wait a little)

---- RECEIVE ----

>From davidsen  Tue Mar 22 18:25:55 1988

Okay, I'll dig out the design document.  I haven't used it for
several months, but I'll mail it from the machine on which it
lives.

The delete problem is philosophy, not technical.  If I let the
user delete the message with replies I can delete the replies,
too.  But that lets a user delete other's messages, so I'll just
delete the original, but that leaves the readers unable to find
the original (and I thought of making the replies only readable
via the original message, to reduce skipping time).  Finally I
could not allow the poster to delete, your suggestion.  This
means that a mistake can not be corrected.  If a post the 800
number of the Christian fellowship, and transpose two digits
which makes it the number of "dial-a-porn," I want to be able to
correct it.  Also if I put my foot in my mouth, I want to be
able to spit it out.

I welcome suggestions which would avoid all of the above.  The
best thing I came up with is to delete the text but not the
message, or to allow replacement with alternate text or an
addendum.  I really want to be able to delete the whole message
tree if I don;t like a subject.

==== RECEIVE ====

>From msmith  Tue Mar 22 16:26:19 1988

I'll tell you one thing that I don't like, and that is that in TBBS
for the IBMs, to read other conferences, you have to "Join" them every
time you log in.
You should be able to switch back and forth faster than that.

==== RECEIVE ====

>From sechrest  Tue Mar 22 16:26:27 1988

There are three things that bother me about today's bulliten boards:

1) They are not well networked. It is only recently that we are begining
to see the IBM BBS's connect to the USENET and Arpa worlds. This should
have been planned and exploited rather than backing into it.

2) Most bulliten boards are Dumb terminal based. And yet most IBM's
and other PC's have a complex interface. Why not utilize the Screen
better and really have a good interface.

3) Most bulliten boards are too linear. There should be some form
of Hypertext so that you don't have to follow the structure of
the BBS. There should also be convienient ways to filter out noise and
focus on the interesting articles.

---- ANSWER ----

1) I think we are quite well networked (at least in Denmark). I'm
running an Opus-BBS and every early morning the computer call the host
computer in Denmark and deliver all EchoMail to it. It call again an
hour later and receive anything anybody elsa has been writing. This
"Fido-net" works fine, and we have connections worldwide - the only
problem is money - but it works. What else do you need? (It should be
possible to connect f.x. OPUS to USENET and Arpa if anybody wants.

2) One of my friends thought about a more intelligent interface but
you run into at least one of four problems.

  a) Either you have to wait a longer time before your screen shows
     all the needed informations f.x. some boxes to be pointed at by a
     mouse.
  b) The user has to wait until "The fancy-communication-interface"
     has been downloaded!
  c) Or you need to distribute a more complex terminal program, but
     what happens when you update this complex terminal program.
  d) And do you really want to pay (phonebill) for some fancy graphics.

OPUS has something called Oansi (Opus ansi), that make it possible to
make some fancy graphics and colours it works quite well but it takes
time to transfer all the ansi-codes.

3) "focus on the interresting articles" - that need AI. On Opus (I
know I love it!) it's possible to search for a specific subject or
scan through the headers of all the letters - is it possible to do it
any better? Could you please elaborate on your meaning by "linear",
"Hypertext" and "structure of the BBS". Can you give an example.

==== RECEIVE ====

From: blandy

One of the things I'd like to see in a BBS (I'm not a sysop, but I've
seen a bad BBS and I'm a programmer) is some way of teaching the BBS
about different file formats and how to do the basic operations on
those new kinds of files.

Adapting to old formats isn't really the point.  But if one BBS could
gracefully (no hacks, no rewriting) read its native files, AND handle
the files from your old BBS, AND, say, act as a USENET reader, all
transparently, I think that would be A Good Thing.

How?

First, choose a few simple, basic, powerful operations- organize the
boards in a hierarchy (sp?), define List, Up and Down operations, Get
a particular message, Add a particular message, Delete a message,
Access levels, etc.  Write your BBS using ONLY this set of
operations.

Then, let each individual board indicate how IT likes to be accessed.
Maybe a jump table or something simple.  Maybe a server process or
something complex.  But as long as it provides as much of the above
list of operations as it can, you can do anything you like.

But the idea is this:  your system DOESN'T CARE how the files are
organized.  As long as it uses the functions provided for the
particular board, it can do everything it wants, and the files will
stay consistent, no matter how heterogenous your set of boards
actually are.

It's the idea behind object-oriented programming - you know that this
thing you've got supports a few simple operations, but you don't
worry about HOW; the thing in question can accomplish your requests
however it needs.

Extensible software - the way to go.  Look at Emacs (certain
implementations), VAX TPU, Hypercard.