[comp.mail.misc] Can I Mail to IBM?

lillj@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (04/17/88)

	can anyone tell me how to send mail to some friends of mine
who work at IBM? Is there some gateway to the IBM mail network? If so,
what is the syntax of the commands to route the mail over IBM? Thanks
in advance for your help.

jennifer lill
lillj@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

indra@grumpy.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (04/18/88)

In article <11900001@silver> lillj@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>	can anyone tell me how to send mail to some friends of mine
>who work at IBM? Is there some gateway to the IBM mail network? If so,
>what is the syntax of the commands to route the mail over IBM? Thanks
>in advance for your help.
>jennifer lill
>lillj@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

I have successfully sent mail to YKTVMX which is an IBM node in
Yorktown using: user%YKTVMX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
from our node here at AMD.

Indra K. Singhal                      |Obviously, the truth is         |
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra  |                      what's so.|
amdcad!indra@decwrl.dec.com           |Not so obviously, it's also     |
   @#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#   |                        so what.|

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (04/30/88)

In article <21212@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@grumpy.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) writes:
>I have successfully sent mail to YKTVMX which is an IBM node in
>Yorktown using: user%YKTVMX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>from our node here at AMD.

The way I seem to recall it, the person working at IBM needs to get
some sort of permission prior to sending out mail.  IBM.COM is possibly
a gateway machine. As IBM uses bitnet mostly whatever works for other
bitnet sites should also work. If you check sites garp.mit.edu and
ngp.texas.edu, they have the netdir and bitnet files (compressed form),
these contain a listing of many sites you may be looking for. Usually the
best way if for your friends at IBM to figure out what is their host name
and the best route to them from their local postmaster.

Cheers!
Shan K.

--
sharan kalwani, vax facility, mcf, 110 east warren avenue, detroit mi 48201
usenet  : ...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu, ihnp4!mibte}!mcf!shan