[comp.mail.misc] I do *NOT* forward AT&T Mail messages

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (05/06/88)

Someone's maps are bogus for node icus.  I never published a map with
attmail being one of the sites I forward mail to.  AT&T Mail is a premium
service that I pay for.  It costs for *EACH* electronic mail message to
be sent (costs vary according to length).  In the last two weeks I have
received 15 different people trying to mail letters to people through
AT&T Mail (node attmail).

I caught this after the fact and turned the "Any" status in the Systems
file for attmail to "Never".   Now I have to physically turn it to Any
and mail anything I want at that time.  This will stop the ON DEMAND status
for mail to attmail that I do not want to be forwarded (ie. ALL FOREIGN MAIL).

I am going to cancel the jobs when I see them, and you will not be notified
of this.  I would suggest finding someone willing to front the $0.80+ for
each message being sent, or subscribing for $30.00.

The following people have tried to use icus as a valid mailer, your mail
has been cancelled and not returned:

May  3 14:47	sbcs!sunybcs!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!pleasant
		-> attmail!lzwa!mlr
May  3 14:47	sbcs!sunybcs!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!pleasant
		-> attmail!ddejager
May  5 01:02	sbcs!sunybcs!rutgers!hplabs!csun!polyslo!kquiros
		-> attmail!rbunge
May  5 05:03	pacbell!scrms0!ejnihill
		-> attmail!dfeith
May  5 18:40	sbcs!sunybcs!rutgers!bellcore!nyquist!sok
		-> attmail!curry

If you want to send to AT&T Mail, be very sure that the node you send it
through allows this traffic.

Has anyone patched smail2.5 to bounce back mail that you don't want to
be forwarded.  I only want LOCAL mail created at this site to go to attmail,
anything foreign I want to be returned to the user.

Thank you,

Lenny Tropiano
ICUS Administrator
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (05/12/88)

In article <356@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|Someone's maps are bogus for node icus.  I never published a map with
|attmail being one of the sites I forward mail to.

From u.usa.ny.2 as of today:

#N	icus
#S	AT&T 3B1/UNIX PC, UNIX System V, Rel. 3.51a
#O	ICUS Computer Group [Development System I]
#C	Leonard B. Tropiano
#E	icus!lenny,	       icus!postmaster

[...deleted.some.lines..]

#
# Private nodes
#
icus	 attmail(DIRECT),		# Local and (800) call
	 shop(POLLED)			# Private non-distributed links
attmail	 icus(DEMAND)			# AT&T Mail calls on demand

Note: machine 'vigin' - from virgin technologies is also advertising
a connection to attmail.

If this is a pay service, I suggest you don't advertise to the world
such a connection. You should have a private and public map.
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (05/13/88)

In article <4369@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
>attmail	 icus(DEMAND)			# AT&T Mail calls on demand
>If this is a pay service, I suggest you don't advertise to the world
>such a connection. You should have a private and public map.

But the maps only control what the automatic routers will do.  There would
still be nothing to prevent neighoring sites from using bang paths to
force the routing (not to imply that anyone would do such a thing).  This
problem is likely to become serious as more commercial services are
available for uucp connections.  Does sendmail allow forwarding rules to
depend on the sender?

  Les Mikesell

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (05/14/88)

IN article <5575@chinet.UUCP>, les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) wrote:
> [...] Does sendmail allow forwarding rules to depend on the sender?

Not in the sendmail.cf file, but the sendmail documentation does discuss a
checkcompat() routine that can be used for this.  I've never tried it, but
it's documented (in the context of restricting recipients, not senders) and
could probably be used.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746