[comp.mail.misc] new site aleytys.UU.NET

esj@bud.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (06/02/88)

In article <130@skep2.ATT.COM> wcs@skep2.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.<ho95c>,2G218,x0705,) writes:
>In article <159@aleytys.UU.NET> mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent) writes:
>> #N	aleytys
>> #W	mike@aleytys.UU.NET (Michael Kent); Sun May 22 09:24:25 EDT 1988
>
>I've never seen the "domain" .UU.NET - is it real, or did
>you make it up?  If it's not real, then you'll really have trouble
>getting mail from people with domain-based mailers, which is to say
>"most of the world".

UUNET seems to have a MX record in their nameserver which probably
looks something like this:

*.uu.net	in	mx	10 uunet.uu.net

If you run decent mailer software, this means that mail to xxxx.uu.net
will get delivered to uunet.uu.net. Matched with a pretty smart sendmail.cf
at uunet.uu.net, this allows the the address aleytys.uu.net to work
just fine.

A very nice (and maybe undocumented) feature that a uunet connection
provides for UUCP only sites.

--
In Real Life:           Internet: esj@beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric S. Johnson II      UUCP: ...{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/03/88)

 >UUNET seems to have a MX record in their nameserver which probably
 >looks something like this:
 >
 >*.uu.net	in	mx	10 uunet.uu.net

This means FOOBAR.uu.net is legit for all values of FOOBAR.

>A very nice (and maybe undocumented) feature that a uunet connection
>provides for UUCP only sites.

It was announced in either the Usenix newsletter :login; or in news.admin,
or even both, that DARPA (the folks who paid for the Arpanet) has
given permission for UUNET to act as a forwarder and domain registry
between the Internet and the UUCP worlds.  (The same way Horton & co.
got permission to act as a UUCP domain registry.)  I recall that the
experiment was to last two years.  This was shortly after UUNET was
first set up:  I'm sure something in this paragraph is now wrong.

I do not know how or what UUCP subscribers to UUNET are told about
the domains.

I have no official affiliation with the UUNET project; queries should
be directed to uunet-request@uunet.uu.net
	/rich (I'm not Rick Adams) $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.