[comp.mail.misc] VNET info wanted

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (Dave Iannucci) (06/03/88)

What exactly is VNET, and how do I get there from UUCP??  Am I right
in guessing that it is in some way related to BITNET??  Mail responses
would be appreciated.

			Thanks,
				Dave (el vicario de san jose)
				{bpa, princeton}!sjuvax!iannucci
					or dji@sbcs.sunysb.edu

dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes) (06/05/88)

In article <1590@sjuvax.UUCP> iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (Dave Iannucci) writes:
>What exactly is VNET, and how do I get there from UUCP??  Am I right
>in guessing that it is in some way related to BITNET??  Mail responses
>would be appreciated.

VNET is an internal IBM network between IBM research sites. Last I
heard, the gateway was operating as a pseudo-node off CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU.
There were some pretty severe restrictions on access to VNET, too; you
must have the gateway administrator initiate a virtual circuit across
the gateway for you and the request for the circuit MUST come from the
IBM side of the gateway and be Suitably Approved by People In Power.

Have a friend on BITNET snarf the VNET LISTING file from
NETSERV@BITNIC for you -- all the gory details are in that file.

--
David Boyes | Internet: dboyes@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu   | (503) 686-4394
            | BITNET: dboyes@uoregon 		        |

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/05/88)

The answer is generally that you can not send mail directly to
VNET sites.  VNET is IBM's internal "BITNET-like" mail network.

-Ron