[comp.mail.misc] Proposed guidelines for Subject lines in electronic mail.

dennie@venus.ucsc.edu (Dennie Van Tassel - Computer Center,31C,2434) (06/01/88)

I am trying to write a list of guidelines for
Subject headings in electronic mail.  Here is my list.
Does anyone have suggestions, additions, etc.

1. Subject lines should always be used.
2. Questions should end with a question mark.
3. Humor should be clearly labeled.
4. Flames should be clearly labeled.
5. Replies should be marked different than original messages.
6. The subject line should provide enough information
   so the reader can decide when he/she if/when they
   want to read the mail message.
7. The subject line should provide enough information
   so the reader can find the message in a large mail box.

What did I miss or what should be changed?
Internet:   dennie@ucscc.ucsc.edu
Bitnet:     dennie@ucscc.bitnet
UUCP:       ...ucbvax!ucscc!dennie

scott@etive.ed.ac.uk (Scott Larnach) (06/07/88)

In article <3541@saturn.ucsc.edu> dennie@venus.ucsc.edu (Dennie Van Tassel - Computer Center) writes:
>I am trying to write a list of guidelines for
>Subject headings in electronic mail.  Here is my list.
>Does anyone have suggestions, additions, etc.

They all seem fine, except for

>4. Flames should be clearly labeled.

I would suggest

	4. Flaming is not recommended. Flames rebound on their author.
	Think first, and use non inflammatory language. If you want to
	make a point, flames will tend to obscure it and divert peoples'
	thoughts and sympathies away from the matter in hand. If you
	don't really want to make a point, I recommend you kick hard the
	spot on your wall one foot to the right of your door.

... I speak as one who recently got burnt by his own flames. Flame-proof
suits aren't the answer; fire prevention is.

Scott
--
Scott Larnach
Edinburgh University Computer Services