[comp.mail.misc] making the Mail reply command use From_ rather than From:

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (07/01/88)

We'd like to add an option to Mail so that it will use the From_ line
rather than the frequently incorrect From: line when users reply to
messages (as more and more intermediate uucp sites adopt the convention
that they not modify the From: line, more and more users here have been
requesting that we "fix the broken 'r' command".  Changing Mail seems
to be the easiest and most reliable alternative.  We do some path
short-circuiting in sendmail, so using the path in the From_ line ought
not to send a mail message too far astray.  In fact, no farther astray
than the message that it's in reply to).

This is on 4.3BSD and SunOS 3.x/4.0 systems.
The changes look easy enough to make (add a check for a new variable,
say, "replyfrom_", and modify the *resp* and name1 routines), but I've
learned never to underestimate the side effects in the Mail source code.  Has
anyone else done this?
	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp

honey@umix.UUCP (07/01/88)

Mail 2.17 was the last bsd mailer that used "From " and i've stuck
with it.  pub/honey/motf.Z on citi.umich.edu is what it has become.
(it uses 'r' for "From " replies, 'R' for From: replies.  the often
abused reply-to-a-lot-of-people-by-accident is "rr" or "RR".)

	peter

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (07/01/88)

In article <10682@andante.UUCP> mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
>We'd like to add an option to Mail so that it will use the From_ line
>rather than the frequently incorrect From: line when users reply to

Well, using mush, you can just set the reply_to_hdr variable to be
anything from NULL, to a list of headers ... Mush will look for each
header till one is found and use that.  For example, I set mine to
Reply-To, Return-Path, From.  This is usually the best list to choose
from.

Now, I know what you're thinking... "No! not another mailer!" You
don't want to learn yet another mail interface and lose all those
great things you were used to with Mail... well, you won't.

Mush was designed to be as backwards compatible to ucb-Mail as
possible -- in fact, the distribution comes with a Mailrc which
sets variables and things so that mush will look exactly like
ucbmail.  This includes virtually all commands and functionality.
(there are some exceptions, but you probably won't care anymore
before you ever find those exceptions).

Neat features include:
    Automatic incorporation of new mail as it comes in.
    Sort messages according to <lots of options>
    Pick messages (analogous to MH)
    History (like csh)
    Command-line aliases (like csh)
    Piping commands
    Running Unix commands (this is a shell, remember)
    A curses interface (if you're clever, you can make it look like rn :-)
    Programmability (make it look like vi or emacs or whatever)
    A suntools interface (sun 2.0 and up).
    On-line help for each command and it's legal arguments.

Now, you're asking, "will mush work on *my* system?"  Probably.  Mush
has been successfully installed on many systems from risc machines, to
PC's.. If it runs unix, you can probably run mush.  If it doesn't, let
me know what's wrong and I'll fix it (or try to).

Where do you get it?  The latest version is on ucbvax in mush-6.3.tar.Z
If you have a system V box and have tried mush before with some errors,
all the documented system V bugs have been solved.  It even passes lint
with less than a page of errors (depending on your lint, I guess). Your
milage may vary, but it's worth a shot.

If you don't have ftp access, you can mail me here (dheller@cory.berkeley.edu)
and I'll mail you a copy (tarmail format).

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (07/03/88)

> For example, I set mine to Reply-To, Return-Path, From.  This is usually
> the best list to choose from.

I'm surprised you haven't been burned by this.  Return-Path is not a valid
header to use for replies.  In many cases, it holds the path only back to the
last system, not the originator.  If you check your RFCs, it isn't intended
as an originator mail path.

John Diamant
Software Development Environments
Hewlett-Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (07/05/88)

In article <8120014@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM> diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) writes:
>> For example, I set mine to Reply-To, Return-Path, From.  This is usually
>> the best list to choose from.

>I'm surprised you haven't been burned by this.  Return-Path is not a valid
>header to use for replies.  In many cases, it holds the path only back to the
>last system, not the originator.  If you check your RFCs, it isn't intended
>as an originator mail path.

But in many cases it is a legitimate path.  Of course, I check the path
anyway to see if it is correct.  In the cases where it isn't, I just kill
the reply and reply again with different values in my reply_to_hdr variable.
Because Mush has command line aliases, I condense all the required commands
to simple keystrokes ...

mush> cmd R 'set reply_to_hdr = reply-to ; replyall'
mush> cmd r 'unset reply_to_hdr ; replysender'
etc...

"cmd" is the way to set a command line alias ("alias" is reserved for
compatibility with Mail).  Now, all I have to do is use R, r, or one of
my other aliases.  Because not all mailers guarantee that the correct
address will be in the same header, I can't use the same set of headers
to get the reply path.

Besides, the whole point to my posting was that mush makes it _configurable_
about which header you want to use.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (07/05/88)

From article <4250@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, by dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller):
" Besides, the whole point to my posting was that mush makes it _configurable_
" about which header you want to use.

vn gives you menu choices for which address to use.  I think that's
even nicer.
	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu