[comp.mail.misc] List of Available Bitnet Info Files

ephraim@techunix.BITNET (Ephraim Silverberg) (07/07/88)

In article <403@cseg.uucp> lag@cseg.UUCP writes:
> My understanding is that most BITNET sites have a map of the rest of
> the network.  I'm not a POSTMASTER, but I believe there is a distribution
> list for such a map and most POSTMASTERs subscribe.  I don't know if you
> can subscribe from UseNet, but I suspect you can get some postmaster
> somewhere to send a copy.

The following files are available from NETSERV@BITNIC which can be of
use to Bitnet Administrators and Postmasters:

Filename        Filetype        Description
--------        --------        -----------
BITNET          NODELST         List of all Bitnet nodes and what/where
                                they are
nodename        NODENTRY        Info, contacts at node 'nodename'
BITNET          GATES           Human-readable list of gateways to
                                other domains
DOMAIN          NAMES [*]       Machine-readable list of gateways to
                                other domains

[*] you must be listed as a contact/administrator/postmaster in your
    node's 'nodentry' to access this file.

The access commands are as follows:

1) From Unix (running UREP):
        echo GET filename filetype | netwrite netserv@bitnic
2) From VM:
        TELL NETSERV at BITNIC GET filename filetype
3) From VMS:
        SEND NETSERV@BITNIC GET filename filetype
4) From MVS:
        TRANSMIT NETSERV.BITNIC NOPROLOG
        and enter the 'GET filename filetype' commands as a
        single line of message text and hit PF3 to transmit.

Ephraim Silverberg,
Faculty of Biomedical Engineering,
Israel Institute of Technology,
Haifa, Israel.

BITNET  :        ephraim@techunix
ARPANET :        ephraim%techunix.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
CSNET   :        ephraim%techunix.bitnet@csnet-relay.csnet
UUCP    :        {ihnp4, allegra, rutgers}!psuvax1!techunix.bitnet!ephraim