[comp.mail.misc] How to compile a psychologists' email directory?

harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) (08/07/88)

This is a copy of letter to Bob Morecock, Editor of Psychnet:

Bob,

Here is a thought I had: You could perform a double service, to Psychnet
as well as the psychological community if you systematically put together
a psychologists' email address directory. I heard (perhaps from you) that
APA will be publishing members' email addresses, but that's in hard copy and
a while away. If you could get the addresses in an electronic file/listserver
it would be a great service to the field AND would give Psychnet an automatic
broad subscribership.

I don't know what official policy and rules are on this. I suspect
that they're only now being improvised on the fly. But it seems to me
that a newsletter and email directory are sufficiently non-invasive so
you can probably treat email address information as public-domain --
like (listed) phone numbers. People who want to be "unlisted" could
easily put up software that returned unwanted messages unread, and
they could even distribute passwords to the only ones they want to
hear from; but most psychologists, I suspect, would like to see email
used more widely and imaginatively, at least for the time being. Once
we reach the junk mail threshold we can start putting in safeguards.

A method for compiling such a directory might be this: Besides requesting
APA's cooperation (i.e., asking them to give you all the email lists
they've gotten as they go along) you could send email queries to all the
major universities and research institutions, either requesting their
directories of psychologists email addresses, if possible, or else requesting
that your appeal for psychologists' email addresses be posted on the local
electronic bboards and msgs to ask psychologists to send in their email
addresses for the directory and newsletter directly to you. In exchange
you could promise to provide email addresses to those who inquire --
this would not have to be done by you personally, but by software, if
the directory were set up properly.

This is EXACTLY the right time to set up such a psycholgists' email
directory; it will get already-emailing psychologists more actively involved
and it will encourage others to get email addresses. You might even be able
to get a grant to help you do this from APA, NSF or NIMH.

What do you think? [You may want to post this on Psychnet to get
readers' reactions, but really the Psychnet readership is still far
too small and unrepresentative, so in talking to ourselves now we are
just preaching to the converted. This also needs to be posted to a much
larger population. I'm going to put it on some of the USENET groups to
see whether there is other information on compiling such a directory,
perhaps from experience in other fields, and also to beat the bushes
to see whether this has already been begun or done by anyone else for
psychology or related fields.]

Stevan
--
Stevan Harnad   ARPANET:  harnad@mind.princeton.edu         harnad@princeton.edu
harnad@confidence.princeton.edu     srh@flash.bellcore.com      harnad@mind.uucp

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (08/07/88)

In article <2721@mind.UUCP> harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:

>This is a copy of letter to Bob Morecock, Editor of Psychnet:
>
>Bob,
>
>Here is a thought I had: You could perform a double service, to Psychnet
>as well as the psychological community if you systematically put together
>a psychologists' email address directory. I heard (perhaps from you) that
>APA will be publishing members' email addresses, but that's in hard copy and
>a while away. If you could get the addresses in an electronic file/listserver
>it would be a great service to the field AND would give Psychnet an automatic
>broad subscribership.

I have had good success in compiling such a directory for geographers and other
spatial scientists.  Three of us began the project by merging our own lists
about 3 years ago.  Then, we ran a workshop on e-mail at the Association
of American Geographers' national meeting in May 1986.  Periodically, I send
the file to all in the file, asking them to confirm their entries and
suggest colleagues to add.  It just grows and grows.  I did a mass e-mailing
in June to about 240 users, and got about 60-70 new ones back.  I even
have a few spatial psychologists!   We have suggested that a field for
email address be added to the AAG's membership form.

David Mark, Chair, AAG Gegraphic Information Systems Specialty Group

geodmm@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu
geodmm@ubvms.BITNET