[comp.mail.misc] Where is somewhere?

vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (08/26/88)

Why do some sites put a site of "somewhere" in their
return paths to mail?  Just to gratuitously break the
"Reply" command?  An example, I sent a message to
foo@cam.mit.edu, and his reply to me arrived with
a from address of cam.mit.edu!somewhere!foo.  I didn't
notice, and my reply bounced back because cam.mit.edu
didn't know about the site "somewhere".

Arf.
--
"I hate trolls.  Maybe I could metamorph it into    | Mike Van Pelt
 something else -- like a ravenous, two-headed,     | Unisys, Silicon Valley

In article <585@unisv.UUCP>, vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
> Why do some sites put a site of "somewhere" in their
> return paths to mail?

Because they're using 'rmail' as the mail delivery agent, either because
/bin/mail is a link to Mail/mailx and it screws up headers, or they're
running Xenix and haven't been able to figure out that the mailer to
use is /usr/lib/mail/execmail (!). rmail assumes that its input is from
another site. If that's not true, it uses the name 'somewhere'.

You should be able to deal with this just by removing the 'somewhere!'.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net