[comp.mail.misc] Make a Wish Come True

Nanook@cup.portal.com (09/02/88)

Make a wish come true....

This message may not belong in the group in which I'm posting it, but please
do not flame me. When I heard this story, I decided to pass the word along
to everyone and posting it in many of the major groups seemed to be the best
way to accomplish that end.

A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants
one thing before he dies. His wish is to be recorded in the Guiness Book of
World Records as being the person to have received the most post cards ever.
To this end I'm posting to everyone on the net requesting that you send David
a post card to help him get his wish. I would also appreciate it if you would
foreward this message to any local BBS's or news groups who may not get these
news feeds.

If you wish to mail a post card to David you may send it to the following
address:

        David
        c/o Aline Morin
        Make A Wish Foundation
        1820 Arabin Rd
        West Palm Beach, Fl. 33406

Please send a card and help David's wish come true!

Nanook of the South
Nanook@cup.portal.com
uunet!portal!nanook

robert@cogen.UUCP (Robert Kuncio) (09/02/88)

In article <8683@cup.portal.com> Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
>Make a wish come true....
>a post card to help him get his wish. I would also appreciate it if you would
>foreward this message to any local BBS's or news groups who may not get these
>news feeds.
>
>Please send a card and help David's wish come true!
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Not again!  This is like some recurring nightmare that changes its location!
--
= Robert Kuncio  ...!{seismo,esosun,suntan,celerit}!cogen!robert              =
= "'The real magic is to understand which words work, and when, and for what; =

falk%peregrine@Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (09/03/88)

In article <8683@cup.portal.com> Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:

>This message may not belong in the group in which I'm posting it, but please
>do not flame me. When I heard this story, I decided to pass the word along
>to everyone and posting it in many of the major groups seemed to be the best
>way to accomplish that end.
>
>A young boy named David is dying. He has an incurable disease. He only wants
>one thing before he dies. His wish is to be recorded in the Guiness Book of
>World Records as being the person to have received the most post cards ever.

	NOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!

This is an urban legend, over ten years old.  If "David" ever really
existed, he must have died years ago.

It's amazing how long this chain-mail thing has persisted.  It hits the
net every six months or so.

		-ed falk, sun microsystems
		 sun!falk, falk@sun.com
	    Stop Contra aid -- boycott cocaine

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/04/88)

In article <8683@cup.portal.com> Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
>Make a wish come true....
>If you wish to mail a post card to David you may send it to the following
>address:
>        c/o Aline Morin
             ^^^^^^^^^^^

A Lying Moron ???
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113

esj@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) (09/04/88)

Portal should have the following as a new users intro to news:

"David is dead. He made it into the book. Don't panic.."

Ej

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (09/04/88)

I vote we boycott ANYTHING to/from Portal until that sys admin
starts controlling what comes out of there.  First money, now
post cards...  Anybody at portal want anything else mailed to them?
--
Charles Lord           ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl    Usenet
Cary, NC               cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu        Bitnet

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (09/04/88)

In article <567@cogen.UUCP> robert@cogen.UUCP (Robert Kuncio) writes:
>In article <8683@cup.portal.com> Nanook@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Make a wish come true....
>>a post card to help him get his wish. I would also appreciate it if you would
>>foreward this message to any local BBS's or news groups who may not get these
>>news feeds.
>>
>>Please send a card and help David's wish come true!
>Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
>Not again!  This is like some recurring nightmare that changes its location!

 Unfortunately, I tend to agree. Too many frauds have been perpetrated this
way, and there actually WAS one where the so-called dying boy who wanted
everyone to send him a postcard DIDN'T EXIST. I can't remember the details;
maybe someone else does... it was fairly recent, however.
And this may sound somewhat callous, but this doesn't strike me as a
particularly noble ambition for a dying boy to have, anyway.

 The world is NOT a nice place.

Have a nice day--
-ken

--
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {trwrb hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!thecloud