[comp.mail.misc] how to get information about usernames at remoteareas

mysore@bsu-cs.UUCP (Swamy Bale) (09/16/88)

I want to know,how to find the information about a friend studying
in other university. I don't know his whereabouts and I am trying
to contact him,but in vain. Can anybody show me how to get his email
address and information(he is computer science student and let us assume
he has unix system access).

thank you
s.bale

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (09/17/88)

In article <3979@bsu-cs.UUCP> mysore@bsu-cs.UUCP (Swamy Bale) writes:
>Can anybody show me how to get his email
>address and information(he is computer science student and let us assume
>he has unix system access).

  Try using the telephone. Look in the comp.mail.maps postings to get a
phone number, or resort to old fashioned methods and use directory assistance
to get the number of the university. It's a lot cheaper than a net article,
and gets you directly connected to someone a lot more likely to have the
answer to the question.

--Greg

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Pierre Radley) (09/18/88)

In article <3979@bsu-cs.UUCP> mysore@bsu-cs.UUCP (Swamy Bale) writes:
>I want to know,how to find the information about a friend studying
>in other university. I don't know his whereabouts and I am trying
>to contact him,but in vain. Can anybody show me how to get his email
>address and information(he is computer science student and let us assume
>he has unix system access).

I'm quite a neophyte at this usenet stuff, but it seems to me that first you
might read the usenet maps for the geographical area in which your friend is
studying. One you learn the machine name of his university's machine(s), you
will also learn the name of that machine's administrator, as in:
	college!bigshot
So write to college!bigshot and ask if there's a login name there for your
friend littleshot, in which case you've got his address, college!littleshot.
--

Time is nature's way of				Jean-Pierre Radley
making sure that everything			..!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!jpr

stevo@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) (09/21/88)

In article <6516@dasys1.UUCP> jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>In article <3979@bsu-cs.UUCP> mysore@bsu-cs.UUCP (Swamy Bale) writes:
>> ... [ wants to know how to get in touch with friend at another school ]
>So write to college!bigshot and ask if there's a login name there for your
>friend littleshot, in which case you've got his address, college!littleshot.

Might I make a suggestion here....

Perhaps instead of asking the SA at your friend's machine for your
friend's login name, you could call up your friend and ask him directly?
Especially if you are still in touch with him.

Please consider this approach before contacting the SA.
-steve
/* Steve Groom, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
 * Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
 * Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"
 */