[comp.mail.misc] Need help with Pathalias under Xenix

mikej@cpmain.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (09/21/88)

I recently dowloaded pathalias ( Ver 9) and I am having difficulties
getting  it running. I have had version 8 running on my system for the
last several months with no problems.  The hardware I am using is an
Altos 2086 (286 box) running Xenix.

Now, I am by no means a C wizard but I can wing it a bit. The first run through
the compile yielded a problem with "_memset" so I UNDEF'd it. The second
compile ran through ok but the program crashed when I ran it. I re-read the
config.h instructions and then commented out MYMALLOC. Upon re-compilation
the program ran.

The errors pathalias is giving  me are your basic "Out of memory. Allocated
26k. Contact the authorities." brand message. My first thought was to
modify the make to use the large model option. When I did that though
I was greeted with pointer errors and core dumps. Has anyone experienced
similar difficulties in getting the program to run? Are  there patches
available?
--
                Michael R. Johnston - @NET: mikej@cpmain.uucp
...{cmcl2!phri!,uunet!}dasys1!cpmain!mikej || ...philabs!mergvax!cpmain!mikej

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (The Beach Bum) (09/24/88)

In article <202@cpmain.UUCP> mikej@cpmain.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>I recently dowloaded pathalias ( Ver 9) and I am having difficulties
>getting  it running. I have had version 8 running on my system for the
>last several months with no problems.  The hardware I am using is an
>Altos 2086 (286 box) running Xenix.

you don't mention what version of xenix you are running.  because of
various compiler bugs (and more ...) in older versions of sco xenix,
you might have a deficient compiler.

>Now, I am by no means a C wizard but I can wing it a bit. The first run through
>the compile yielded a problem with "_memset" so I UNDEF'd it. The second
>compile ran through ok but the program crashed when I ran it. I re-read the
>config.h instructions and then commented out MYMALLOC. Upon re-compilation
>the program ran.

ok.  i have done likewise to the config.h file here (where do you think
he got it from ;-), and compile.  when i ran (i compiled -M2l) i got a
stack overflow, so i went back into the makefile and upped the stack size
of C000 by adding -F C000 to the LDFLAGS in the Makefile.

>The errors pathalias is giving  me are your basic "Out of memory. Allocated
>26k. Contact the authorities." brand message. My first thought was to
>modify the make to use the large model option. When I did that though
>I was greeted with pointer errors and core dumps. Has anyone experienced
>similar difficulties in getting the program to run? Are  there patches
>available?

i never got the "Out of memory." error, but then i didn't try small model.
i went straight to large model.

i never received a pointer botch fault, so maybe your compiler is buggy?
i used pathalias to process all of ?.usa.*, which took quite a while and
sucked up all available physical memory [ and then starting paging, i
suppose ]

the only thing i had to do to get pathalias to run as a 286 program was
to add -F C000 to the LDFLAGS ...
--
John F. Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US)                   HASA, "S" Division

      "Why waste negative entropy on comments, when you could use the same
                   entropy to create bugs instead?" -- Steve Elias