[comp.mail.misc] HELP! PathAlias BUG??

dws@cseg.uucp (David W. Summers) (09/22/88)

Hello NetLanders,
   I need some help.  I am trying to set up our PathAlias map entry and am
having trouble convincing PathAlias that one of our links is really low cost.
The problem stems from this:

   PathAlias Input:
      cseg @hcx(LOCAL)
      hcx  harry(DEMAND)

   The output looks like: (command 'pathalias -c')

   0 cseg	%s
   25 hcx	%s@hcx
   100000325	harry	harry!%s@hcx

   I have tried every way I know of to specify that the link from hcx to harry
is low cost.  I have even set all the costs at 0 and it still outputs the cost
to harry as INFINITE!  Is this a bug or do I just not understand something?
The wierd thing about it is that If I tell pathalias that the link looks like

  cseg hcx(LOCAL)

rather than

  cseg @hcx(LOCAL)

  then everything works fine!  However, at the present I can't do this because
I am sending from cseg to hcx via SENDMAIL and it REQUIRES the '@' syntax to
be able to get mail to hcx.

   Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  I sent out a similar request
about a week ago or more and have heard nothing back.

                                   Thank you (VERY MUCH) in advance.
                                   - David Summers
                                   (dws@cseg.uucp)
                                   (..!romed!cseg!dws)

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/22/88)

david, i sent you mail a week ago, but i guess you didn't get it ...

    From honey Wed Sep 14 21:08:41 1988
    From: Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
    To: citi!mailrus!ames!lll-crg!lll-winken!killer!pbox!romed!cseg!dws
    Subject: Re: Why does pathalias do this?

    oops -- undocumented behavior.

    pathalias steps on addresses that mix ! and @ -- steps HARD.

	    peter

i was sure i had cited this in the man page, but no can find.
maybe it's in the paper.  for sure i'll mention it in the book.

	peter

ps:  just kidding about the book.

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (09/23/88)

In article <727@cseg.uucp> dws@cseg.uucp (David W. Summers) writes:
=I am sending from cseg to hcx via SENDMAIL and it REQUIRES the '@' syntax to
=be able to get mail to hcx.

Sendmail doesn't require _any_ type of addressing.  It's the sendmail.cf you
are using that does.  I think if you post the appropriate question to
comp.mail.sendmail someone will be able to assist you in modifying your .cf
file.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1@ames.arc.nasa.gov

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (09/25/88)

In article <4801@umix.cc.umich.edu> honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
> [...]
>i was sure i had cited this in the man page, but no can find.
>maybe it's in the paper.  for sure i'll mention it in the book.

	Yes? I confess to be puzzled by pathalias - where could I get a
	copy of this paper?

	Also what is the most recent version of pathalias?

>	peter
>
>ps:  just kidding about the book.

Thanks,
--