[comp.mail.misc] HELP!! with PROFS file formats and other stuff

jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) (09/30/88)

Some time ago I posted an article asking how I might establish a mail
gateway between UNIX and IBM's PROFS.  I received several excellent
any of them (silly, yes?).

Currently, the only feasible solution is to write my own.  From what
little I know concerning PROFS, it seems that a simple RJE link
between UNIX and another PROFS node would be sufficient.  I could then
develop the programs to translate between the two file formats and
handle address resolution.

To investigate this further, I need to understand the theory of operation
behind PROFS and its file formats.  Ideally, I would prefer to locate
the IBM documents describing this.  Any help, however, would be GREATLY
appreciated.

I've tried going to an IBM Systems Engineer, but they're not being very
helpful.  I got the impression that they don't want to be bothered.
Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks very much,

Jon

jon@chiron.UUCP
rochester!cci632!chiron!jon

ECULHAM@UALTAVM.BITNET (User name Unknwon) (09/30/88)

In article <162@chiron.UUCP>, jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) writes:

>Some time ago I posted an article asking how I might establish a mail
>gateway between UNIX and IBM's PROFS.  I received several excellent
>any of them (silly, yes?).
>
>Currently, the only feasible solution is to write my own.  From what
>little I know concerning PROFS, it seems that a simple RJE link
>between UNIX and another PROFS node would be sufficient.  I could then
>develop the programs to translate between the two file formats and
>handle address resolution.

Please think VERY carefully before building yet another adhoc gateway
from VM to the rest of the world. Invariably, these gateways implement
only part of the function, and wind up causing a lot of grief to the
network. They are a LOT of work to write, and need to be continually
upgraded.

I am speaking from experience. I did what you are proposing, but for the
Michigan Terminal System (MTS), not UNIX. I had no choice. You do.

I advise you to examine all your reasons for not using the semi-standard
approaches. They exist NOW. Yours will take 4 months to stabilize,
assuming that you are a good programmer.

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (10/03/88)

Ask your systems engineer again.  IBM makes such a product.  It's called
something like PROFS extended mail.  You'll need a way to get your mail
to be IBM host, but once you do, you can get it in and out of profs.
One way is to get TCP/IP for your VM machine (another might be to
run UREP on the UNIX machine).

-Ron

jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) (10/04/88)

In article <162@chiron.UUCP>, jon@chiron.UUCP (Jon L. Griffeth) writes:

> Some time ago I posted an article asking how I might establish a mail
> gateway between UNIX and IBM's PROFS.  I received several excellent
> any of them (silly, yes?).

A number of people have asked for the responses to my original posting.
The following is a copy of the summary I posted to comp.mail.misc
and comp.unix.questions:

Thanks for all the responses.  To summarize:

Apparently, IBM will be releasing an X.400 interface for PROFS in the near
future (I don't know what "near" means).  Since X.400 interfaces are available
for UNIX systems (or so I've been told) and X.400 is an international standard,
this probably makes the best solution.

It has also be mentioned that IBM has a TCP/IP package that supports a PROFS
to SMTP interface.  This certainly looks promising for the near term.

Finally, DEC's Mail Bus supports a PROFS gateway.  Unfortunately, it runs only
under VMS.  However, since it also supports a UNIX mail gateway, mail could
be routed through it.  Needless to say, this would only be useful if you had
a VMS system sitting around.

One additional note, IBM only supports TCP/IP on their VM systems.  To
run the mail link you'll need PROFS Extended Mail as well as the TCP/IP
package.

P.S. This has nothing with the subject but I recently heard that IBM
has announced NFS support for VM.  Also, EDS is apparently providing
NFS for MVS as well.  Thought you might be interested.

P.S.S. I'm still looking for responses to my latest posting.

Thanks,

Jon L. Griffeth
jon@chiron.UUCP

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (10/04/88)

>One additional note, IBM only supports TCP/IP on their VM systems.  To
>run the mail link you'll need PROFS Extended Mail as well as the TCP/IP
>package.

That's OK, they only support PROFS on the VM system.   The magic words
to ask for are:
	5798-FAL:  TCP/IP for VM
	5798-FBJ:  PROFS Extended Mail

> P.S. This has nothing with the subject but I recently heard that IBM
> has announced NFS support for VM.  Also, EDS is apparently providing
> NFS for MVS as well.  Thought you might be interested.

NFS is available for 5798-FAL as of this month.  You need to order Feature
4059.  It's a server only implmentation (if you know VM you'll understand
why).  They also have X clients now in FAL.

IBM has also announced TCP/IP for MVS.  Essentially, this is a port of
the VM product.  (Product code 5685-061).   X again is included, and NFS
is an added cost feature.

-Ron

dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes) (10/09/88)

In article <Oct.3.11.26.28.1988.5768@ron.rutgers.edu> ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Ask your systems engineer again.  IBM makes such a product.  It's called
>something like PROFS extended mail.  You'll need a way to get your mail
>to be IBM host, but once you do, you can get it in and out of profs.
>One way is to get TCP/IP for your VM machine (another might be to
>run UREP on the UNIX machine).
>-Ron

There are also exits for the Crosswell MAILER that allow translation
of PROFS mail into the more ordinary RFC822 world. From that point,
getting the stuff to the Unix box is easy.

--
David Boyes | Internet: dboyes@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu   | (503) 686-4394
            | BITNET: dboyes@uoregon 		        |