[comp.mail.misc] saving mail on a different machine

cooper@gollum.UUCP (Bob Cooper) (10/12/88)

Question:

Is there any way to read mail on machine "a" but have articles
saved/appended on machine "b".  Both machines are connected over
ethernet.

The reason I need to do this is that machine "a" which has "rn - News"
installed on it has little extra disk space to store articles that
I like to pull off the net.

Currentlt I have to send everything over from "a" to "b" and them
manually concat. similarly named files together --> PAIN.  Any
advice is appreciated.

                                         /
                                       /
                                     /  The game is afoot!
                                   /

        -Bob Cooper
	 bob.cooper@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

daniel@island.uu.net (Dan "Trees against Bush, Ducks against Quayle" Smith) (10/17/88)

In article <151@gollum.UUCP> cooper@gollum.UUCP (Bob Cooper) writes:

>Question:
>
>Is there any way to read mail on machine "a" but have articles
>saved/appended on machine "b".  Both machines are connected over
>ethernet.

	Have your mail/News directory on machine 'b', and make
a symbolic link on machine 'a' that goes across a mount to 'b'.

	I'm making assumptions:  that you have symlinks, and that
there is, or can be, a convenient mount from a->b.

	Something that might help (and slightly off the subject):

	At island we recently redid the filesystem naming.  Every machine
has a /usr/machinename directory, which contains directories for people
and projects.  Every machine mounts every other machine's /usr/machinename
directory (this is for machines with disks...).  So...my home dir
is /usr/sumatra/people/daniel (on all of the machines), but I usually
read my mail on "island" - the mail always gets saved to ~daniel/text/mail,
(all of the password files have the same paths) it doesn't matter what
machine I'm on.  If you're in an environment where you can do this, try it!
It's much easier to deal with one big account than four or five small ones.

				dan

--
DanSmith IslandGraphics 4000CivicCenterDr SanRafael MarinCo CA 94903 4154911000
daniel@island.uu.net {ucbvax!ucbcad,sun,well,unicom,mcvax!uunet}!island!daniel