[comp.mail.misc] path to McGill?

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (10/17/88)

I need a good path to oliver.cs.mcgill.edu (or .cdn, or .ca, I have seen a
number of versions of it).  What's the nearest backbone site? - pure domain
addressing doesn't seem to work.  Something eats all my messages and email
from there can take three weeks (!) to get to me. "musocs.uucp" (which ought
to be the same site) seems no better.

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack

In article <1738@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:
> I need a good path to oliver.cs.mcgill.edu (or .cdn, or .ca, I have
> seen a number of versions of it).

The .CA version is the "most official" and the most likely to work.
The .EDU version might work; it was proper once upon a time.  The .CDN
version is not valid at all, as far as I know (but I could be wrong).

> What's the nearest backbone site?

Any Internet host should be able to SMTP directly to it.  This may not
be much help in the UK, though.  Try uunet - they're definitely on the
Internet.

> - pure domain addressing doesn't seem to work.  Something eats all my
> messages and email from there can take three weeks (!) to get to me.
> "musocs.uucp" (which ought to be the same site) seems no better.

musocs.uucp *is* the same machine as oliver.cs.mcgill.ca.  And yes,
mail service to/from Computer Science here (which is what .cs.mcgill.ca
is: Computer Science at McGill) is not the best.  They're trying to run
too many machines at once with too few people, some of whom aren't even
full-time....

Depending on the user you're sending to, it might be that they simply
aren't replying.  I've had mail take a long time to get answered.

If you can get mail here (larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu, aka
mcgill-vision.uucp), we can try various experiments and see what works.
(The .edu vs .ca confusion is an artifact of history.  The .ca version
should work; I give .edu for larry because .edu is somewhat solider
than .ca.  Oliver was under .mcgill.edu once upon a time, and that name
might even be still valid - I'd have to check.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu