[comp.mail.misc] bigoted racist misuse of email

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (12/01/88)

In article <10704@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, David Makowsky (davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM) writes:
>Does anyone know if the message id can be used to trace the origins
>of the email?  [ The ID was <8811302150.AA03838@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>. ]

  If osupyr is logging outgoing mail, the message ID will appear in
the syslog file, along with (I think) the user ID.  Otherwise, the
beginning of the message ID shows that it was sent at 21:50 (osupyr
time) on November 30.  The basic UNIX accounting data should be enough
to track the account name, or at least narrow it down to two or three
(how many people send mail at once?).

	Anton Rang (rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu)

| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |