[comp.mail.misc] Ghost mail

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/01/88)

[Followups to comp.mail.misc]

According to andre@targon.UUCP (andre):
>I am not sure if this is the rigth newsgroup but...
>I just got mail from someone that is munched by some mailer.

[Hello, Andre!]

It would seem that the uunet!mcvax E-Mail connection is BROKEN!  I've been
trying to mail to Europe -- specifically to you, Andre -- and it hasn't
worked for the past two weeks.  (That's <uunet!mcvax!targon!andre>, for
you mail analysts out there.)

What's the story?
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/01/88)

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
   It would seem that the uunet!mcvax E-Mail connection is BROKEN!  I've been
   trying to mail to Europe -- specifically to you, Andre -- and it hasn't
   worked for the past two weeks.

Not true.  An excerpt from my syslog:

Nov 29 13:26:12 localhost:      23837 sendmail: AA23837: from=<mcvax!moncam!paul@uunet.uu.net>, size=1100, class=0
Nov 29 13:38:42 localhost:      24518 sendmail: AA24518: from=<mcvax!sphinx.co.uk!domo@uunet.UU.NET>, size=1424, class=0
Nov 29 14:27:38 localhost:      26404 sendmail: AA26404: from=<mcvax!moncam!paul@uunet.uu.net>, size=1100, class=0
Nov 29 14:56:29 localhost:      27908 sendmail: AA27908: from=<mcvax!moncam!paul@uunet.uu.net>, size=1232, class=0
Nov 29 17:19:52 localhost:      5242 sendmail: AA05242: from=<mcvax!moncam!paul@uunet.uu.net>, size=1115, class=0
Nov 30 19:12:37 localhost:      15095 sendmail: AA15095: from=<mcvax!tut.fi!hm78907@uunet.UU.NET>, size=1075, class=0

The mcvax<->uunet link is quite healthy, as of 7pm last night.

--Karl

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (12/03/88)

In article <1988Nov30.212917.7808@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to andre@targon.UUCP (andre):

[.....]

>It would seem that the uunet!mcvax E-Mail connection is BROKEN!

I don't think so. Just lately (in the last 3 weeks or so), I've
been sending quite some mail via mcvax!uunet to the US and
received replies via the same path. So I should think that the
problem lies elsewhere.

--
Mike Schroeder		PCS-Mail: msc
SNAIL: PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany