[comp.mail.misc] Another example why not to re-route

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (11/24/88)

For several days, my main newsfeed has been disabled, and due to rerouting
by other machines, I have been unable to send messages along paths that
should have worked.  I consider this an object lesson in why rerouting
is not a good idea in general.

Note that I'm not objecting to routing, just rerouting.  That is, if I
submit some mail to foo@bar.dom.ain, I expect that mailers will figure
out a route for me.  But if I send mail to x.uucp!y.bitnet!bar!foo, I
prefer that the mailers deliver it along exactly that route, or bounce
it back to me.

Oh, yes, my example.  For several days now, all calls to my main newsfeed
(adelie) have failed with the following in the uucp log file:

| mail adelie  (11/23-4:36:16,6064,0) SUCCEEDED (call to adelie )
| mail adelie  (11/23-4:36:21,6064,0) HANDSHAKE FAILED (REMOTE HAS A LCK FILE FOR ME)
| mail adelie  (11/23-6:36:09,6111,0) SUCCEEDED (call to adelie )
| mail adelie  (11/23-6:36:16,6111,0) HANDSHAKE FAILED (REMOTE HAS A LCK FILE FOR ME)
| mail adelie  (11/23-7:39:14,6136,0) SUCCEEDED (call to adelie )
| mail adelie  (11/23-7:39:19,6136,0) HANDSHAKE FAILED (REMOTE HAS A LCK FILE FOR ME)

It appears that uucico aborted without freeing the lockfile, and adelie
doesn't have one of the recent (hdb) uucps that delete the lockfile if
its creating process has died.  So until the administrator cleans up,
or uucp's garbage collector gets to it, the minya!adelie link is dead.

I'd like to send mail to the administrator to tell him about it.  Obviously,
I can't send mail to adelie!postmaster.  I do have several other neighbors,
and the uucp maps show several alternative paths.  I've tried sending mail
along several of them, but you might guess what happens.  Right.  Each path
includes a "smart" mailer that decides it knows a better path--going back
here and across minya!adelie.  Sigh.

Changing the network maps isn't appropriate.  The problem will clear up
as soon as the lockfile goes away.  In fact, I ran my "uunudge" script
just before typing "postnews", and while typing this article, a call
got through successfully, and the modem's RXD light is lit up solid.
So the problem has just now fixed itself.

But for several days, the link was down, and alternative paths all failed
due to smart re-routing.  Dumb mailers would have gotten the job done right.

The way I like to think of this is that it's a debugging problem.  Routing
is fine for "normal" situations.  But when things aren't normal, and the
software is screwed up somehow, it isn't often correct to depend on the
failing software to correct the problem.  It's failing, after all.  The
job of debugging almost always depends on using various backdoors, spies,
and out-of-band data paths to poke around in the systems innards.

The major use of explicit mail paths is to diagnose and correct mail problems.
A few years ago, they worked just fine for uucp.  Now they don't.  If we can't
use them, then we won't generally be able to make email work right.  The last
few years of widespread smart mailers have provided us with a long list of
examples, which my mailer has just extended by one.

BTW, I find my "uunudge" script to be a useful debugging tool.  What it
does is hunt down and remove all the locks and status files blocking a
given uucp link, and then starts up a "uucico -r1 -s$1" to force a call.
It usually clears up any congestion caused by problems on this end.  What
would be really handy would be if it were installed at each of my neighbors
sites, and I could say something like (uux "x!y!adelie!uunudge 'minya'").
This would have cleared up the problem without my having to contact adelie's
administrator (who has better ways to spend his time than babysitting
uucp, and anyhow, it's a holiday here in the USA).  Unfortunately, with
all the various variants of uucp around, I don't know if I could write
a general, portable version of this script.  Anyone interested in trying
to make this a generally-available remote command?

--
John Chambers <{adelie,ima,maynard,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

[Any errors in the above are due to failures in the logic of the keyboard,
not in the fingers that did the typing.]

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (11/26/88)

Here's my opinion on uucp path-munching, which may be no better than
anyone else's opinion.

If pass-through mail has a fully-qualified domain name in the
destination bang path, as

	rutgers!mimsy.umd.edu!elsewhere!eddie.mit.edu!somewhere!user

has, then the mailer takes shortcut to the rightmost fully-qualified
name.  Otherwise it either delivers to the first node on the path, if it
is a neighbor, or bounces it if it is not.

To the return-path on outgoing mail, I prepend "oddjob!" if there already
is a fully-qualified name in the path or "oddjob!oddjob.uchicago.edu!"
if there isn't.

This seems to work quite well.

			Matt

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (11/26/88)

I don't understand why you didn't contact the site administrator
doing the rerouting and tell him that your link was down.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

vixie@bacchus.pa.dec.com (vixie) (11/26/88)

Another victim of the active rerouters.  Sigh.  You have my sympathy, but it
seems that the decision has been made and since no facts were taken into
account originally, I don't see that announcing more facts now is going to
change anything.  People reroute because they want to, and it seems to give
them endless pleasure to see other folks complain about it.

There's an ambiguity in your article; I'd like to resolve it:

# Note that I'm not objecting to routing, just rerouting.  That is, if I
# submit some mail to foo@bar.dom.ain, I expect that mailers will figure
# out a route for me.  But if I send mail to x.uucp!y.bitnet!bar!foo, I
# prefer that the mailers deliver it along exactly that route, or bounce
# it back to me.

I feel that x.uucp is justified in trying to find a route to y.bitnet, but
that if y.bitnet (really: the "next hop") is not reachable via routing,
the message should be returned.  Under no circumstances should a site peek
ahead (to "bar", in this example).  Well, maybe as matt@oddjob suggests,
one could peek ahead to fully qualified domains.  But even that I'd tend to
argue against (anybody want to? I doubt it...).

This is the distinction between "routing" and "rerouting" -- no peeking.

One more thing: could you tell me who those neighbors were?  The ones that
rerouted and sent the fixit request back toward you?  I am building a list
of rerouters that those who care about such things will be able to mark as
"dead" when they build their paths database.  The rerouting sites themselves
seem largely to want to remain undiscovered, though one of them finally did
send me a list of sites.

Anyway, anyone who runs or knows of a site who peeks, please send me mail so
that my paths database can avoid it.

--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/27/88)

According to lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear):
>I don't understand why [John Chambers] didn't contact the site
>administrator doing the rerouting and tell him that [his] link was down.

Step back and take a deep breath, Eliot; and think again.

If the site in question hadn't been an active rerouter, there would have been
no need to contact anyone.  And no problem.

Active routing loses.  Why is this so *hard* for some people to understand?!
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/27/88)

Subject: Why everyone, and especially Postmasters, should have 2 addresses.

> For several days, my main newsfeed has been disabled, and due to rerouting
> by other machines, I have been unable to send messages along paths that
> should have worked.  I consider this an object lesson in why rerouting
> is not a good idea in general.

picking up the phone and calling might well be the "obvious" solution ...

...still, John's story of not being able to raise a Postmaster of a site
with mail-problems reminds me to, once again, ask that every author of
a map-entry include, at least, one alternate and reasonably independent
email-address on some other machine, if at all possible (and to check
the alternate mailbox(es) for mail !!!)

In the research community it is quite common to exchange guest-accounts
with "neighboring" site-admins;  and while at commercial sites this might
not be quite that easy to arrange, it should be easy enough to
make an agreement with the admin of a net-neighbor to be named as
alternate recipient in the map-entry of your site, and to relay any
messages by phone or print-out - if all else fails ....
An account on a Public Access or Commercial site, even if long-distance,
may well be THE easiest/simplest solution for most ...

It's too bad that even those of us with several mail-addresses to offer
mostly fail to indicate this in the  .signature-file ...

-----------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
(INTERNET)     werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu
(UUCP)	..!utastro!werner   or  ..!uunet!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
--

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/28/88)

:For several days, my main newsfeed has been disabled, and due to rerouting
:by other machines, I have been unable to send messages along paths that
:should have worked.  I consider this an object lesson in why rerouting
:is not a good idea in general.

Unh, err, did you try using your phone without a modem attached?
I mean, like, calling?  All map entries have contact information,
and if you don't keep the maps on-line, you should at least have
a name and phone number for everyone listed in your L.sys (Systems)
file...
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey) (11/28/88)

I've also been screwed by active rerouting more times than I want to
think about. I KNOW what I'm doing when I send a message with a
contorted path, and I sometimes send them to test the path, or see
what headers I get back. Having an active rerouter in the path makes
it impossible for me to test certain routes.

There are also still some sites with duplicate site names that aren't
registered - for instance, uworld (Unix World) seems to talk to a
system called sirius, but it's not the one in the maps. Yes, this is a
bad idea, but it's a situation that exists, and I SHOULD still be able
to explicitly route a message there. If there's an active rerouter in
the path, like my neighbor bionet, I lose.

Given these problems, I'm very opposed to active rerouting. If there
were a way to force certain messages through, I'd be less opposed to
it (perhaps a header field, "X-REROUTE: NO", which the rerouting
mailer saw), but there's not.
--
			- john romkey
romkey@asylum.uucp	romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu	romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (11/29/88)

I can maybe understand WHY some sites will actively re-route. (I am not saying
I am in favour of it or against it, merely why it may be happening). Take
as an example the path Mr. Vixie's posting took to reach lakart from decwrl:

	lakart!cfisun!ima!spdcc!bloom-beacon!husc6!purdue!decwrl!vixie

as opposed to the "optimal" path from lakart to decwrl:

	lakart!xait!garp!decvax!decwrl!vixie

Now, if I'm footing the bill for transferring this information, which path
do you think I'm going to use. From the point of view of people who spend
quite a bit of money moving other people's mail around, they want to shorten
up paths as much as possible to save their (& other sites) costs. At least
that is one possible hypothesis. As to whether they are acheiving anything
(vis a vis lost mail bouncing around uucp land) I cannot comment upon that.

One suggestion would be to post to news.config saying:

dead	{adelie!minya}
dead	{minya!adelie}

And when the maps get updated your problem goes away. (For those that are
interested, and for the personal edification of Mr. Albery at ncoast) I am
currently working on a pathalias version that is A: runnable on (maybe)
a big PC, (i.e. 8086, 640K), and B: admittedly somewhat slower than
the regular pathalias (the data conversion alone takes over 10 mins
on lakart, against a straight 7 mins for running pathalias). However once
it is posted I will personally flame out of existance anyone who complains
that they can't afford to update their maps at least once a week. (PDP/11
users excepted - I don't think I can fit it in 64K)

		You have been warned :-)
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu	  	  +---+

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (11/29/88)

[Romkey]
# Given these problems, I'm very opposed to active rerouting. If there
# were a way to force certain messages through, I'd be less opposed to
# it (perhaps a header field, "X-REROUTE: NO", which the rerouting
# mailer saw), but there's not.

John, I agree with everything you say here, and I hope someone among the
rerouters will try to answer you.  I don't promise not to toast them, but
I do promise to be gentler about it than I was last time.

One problem with this final suggestion of yours: rerouting _must not_ be
the default case.  A header that said "X-REROUTE: YES" with the default
for all sites being "NO" would be fine.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600
Play:    paul@vixie.sf.ca.us     vixie!paul      +1 415 864 7013

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/30/88)

Just a quick thought on the psychology of active-rerouting...
It seems to me, that there are two kinds of rerouters;
	a)  "That's a pretty poor way to route it, I can do better than that"
	b)  "Hmm.  I don't want to use that link unless I have to"

As for the first case, this is fairly obnoxious, and should be discouraged
at all costs.  On the other hand, I can think of fairly valid reasons for
rerouting in the second case.  For example, a site connects to UUNET at
300 baud (yeuch!).  It also connects to a big machine on the Internet by
local call.  In the maps, the site would penalize the UUNET connection.
All mail to UUNET would be through the big neighbour.  However, if someone
wants to cost this particular site a lot of money, they could hand-route a
whole pile of large mail directly to UUNET.  The 'active' rerouter in this
case, would simply insert an extra component in the bang-path, which
redirected the mail to the Internet site.  Comments?
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (11/30/88)

[Goodenough]
#
#	lakart!cfisun!ima!spdcc!bloom-beacon!husc6!purdue!decwrl!vixie
#
# as opposed to the "optimal" path from lakart to decwrl:
#
#	lakart!xait!garp!decvax!decwrl!vixie
#
# Now, if I'm footing the bill for transferring this information, which path
# do you think I'm going to use. From the point of view of people who spend
# quite a bit of money moving other people's mail around, they want to shorten
# up paths as much as possible to save their (& other sites) costs.

In various past articles I have answered this.  Basically, you should NOT
be using a netnews Path: line to send mail.  At one point I went so far as
to recommend that the character chosen to separate the hostnames in the
"Path:" line be changed to something other than a "!" since it looked so
much like a UUCP path that it was confusing a lot of people.  It is NOT a
UUCP path and if you send mail along a "Path:" and it works, you are lucky.

In times past there have been many "news only" links.  I think I might make
my home machine into a netnews hub for my area and not run mail on it, just
to get lots and lots of articles into the bitstream that cannot be replied
to via the "Path:" line.  This is in the spirit of "making things worse so
they'll get better," though, and it's a sad victory if it works at all.

There is NO REASON to use a "Path:" line to mail a reply to an author.  If
you want to run a full pathalias-based auto-router, you can get smail and
uuhosts and pathalias from a comp.sources.unix archive -- they're all free.
If you want to run a smail with no local database, you don't need pathalias
or uuhosts, you just use a "smart-host" in your paths file.  All your out-
bound traffic that you don't know the full route for will go to some smart
neighbor or near-neighbor.

Quoting myself:
# There is no problem solved by re-routing that cannot be solved otherwise;
# there are problems CAUSED by re-routing that cannot be solved at all.

--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600
Play:    paul@vixie.sf.ca.us     vixie!paul      +1 415 864 7013

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (12/01/88)

More opinion:

Anyone who even attempts to use the news-path as a mail address should
question their own sanity.

Anyone who attempts to have their news system preserve the validity of
the news-path as a mail address should receive a pat on the head and a
kick in the pants.
				Matt Crawford

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (12/01/88)

In an article vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
> In various past articles I have answered this.  Basically, you should NOT

Long ago I put Mr. Vixie in my KILL file for comp.mail.uucp because he
seems to post incessantly on this one topic:  Do not reroute.  I'm not
sure how many times we have to suffer the diatribe, but now I see it's
begun to infect this group too.

Please folks, if you want to argue this until the cows come home, feel
free, but please do it in the appropriate group, comp.mail.uucp.  Even
better, create a new group, talk.reroute, and bash each other there.

Thank you.  Now to add to my KILL file...

--
Greg Paris                     <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,garp,gatech,necntc,spdcc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (12/01/88)

In article <VIXIE.88Nov29011054@bacchus.pa.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
> [Romkey]
> # Given these problems, I'm very opposed to active rerouting. If there
> # were a way to force certain messages through, I'd be less opposed to
> # it (perhaps a header field, "X-REROUTE: NO", which the rerouting
> # mailer saw), but there's not.
>
> the default case.  A header that said "X-REROUTE: YES" with the default
>
> Paul Vixie

I suggested in the past (and yes, I suggesting it again), that instead of a
special purpose header, we use something like: X-OPTIONS: REROUTE.  This
way, other options could be added without having to change the basic RFC822.
Speaking of which, I don't think that the X- should be in front, because if
you put that there, people will ignore it.  If, on the other hand, you put
it as part of '822, then everyone has to sit up and take notice.  I mean,
the basic idea behind X-ANYTHING, is that the mailer software will ignore
it.  That's really not what we want.  Another example, someone asked me
recently, to mail them a copy of a program (>33K in length).  Guess what.
'ames' bounced it back to me, complete with a little note about a bad
path.  It would be great if there was another option something like;

which meant that the bouncing site just returned the header.  Comments?
						- Der
--

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (12/02/88)

According to dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan):
>It seems to me, that there are two kinds of rerouters;
>	a)  "That's a pretty poor way to route it, I can do better than that"
>	b)  "Hmm.  I don't want to use that link unless I have to"

These already have names:
	a)  Active routing
	b)  Passive routing

>As for the first case, this is fairly obnoxious, and should be discouraged
>at all costs.  On the other hand, I can think of fairly valid reasons for
>rerouting in the second case.

Quite.
--

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (12/02/88)

From article <989@tank.uchicago.edu>, by matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford):
> More opinion:
>
> Anyone who even attempts to use the news-path as a mail address should
> question their own sanity.

For us who know better, Mr. Crawford's comments hold up. But even I have sent
E-mail using a news path in the days before I knew better. Just today,
I received mail from New Jersey (lakart is in Mass) that went from Jersey
to Ohio to Mass to California to Indiana to California to Mass to me.
I just wonder how much that letter cost to reach me - I estimate it
travelled 12000 miles across 20 sites before reaching me, from a site that
is no more than 400 miles away.

> Anyone who attempts to have their news system preserve the validity of
> the news-path as a mail address should receive a pat on the head and a
> kick in the pants.
> 				Matt Crawford

We know better, but THERE ARE STILL IDIOTS OUT THERE WHO WILL TRY IT.

I agree that totally agressive rerouting is not clever, but I ask comments
on the (re-)routing done here.

(N.B. lakart has four neighbours: cfisun, xait, mirror and pallio)

    Step 1. if lakart appears "further down" the path, ditch the intervening
portion:

	xait!harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!mirror!.....

becomes:

	mirror!.....

    Step 2. if any of my immediate neighbours appear further down, then
ditch the intervening portion:

	xait!harvard!adelie!cfisun!ima!....

becomes:

	cfisun!ima!....

OK SO FAR. (?)

		THIS IS THE IMPORTANT STEP

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

	If I can't (and here is where Mr Vixie & others will disagree)
find the LAST hop I can get to, and send it there with the tail intact:

	snarf!harvard!foo!portal!blurf!decwrl!hiccup!user

becomes:

	xait!garp!decvax!decwrl!hiccup!user

For people who say I should route from the other end (i.e. try to find a route
to snarf, if that fails try for harvard etc.) I ask the following. In either
case I have to add some routing information (either to harvard to decwrl)
from my local idea of what the maps look like. THESE TWO ROUTES ARE EQUALLY
LIKELY TO BE INCORRECT, so what is the advantage of sending to harvard
as opposed to decwrl. In both cases, since I've rerouted, I may have
introduced an error into the route. As an aside, if my route to decwrl IS
bad, but the site (say garp) that "can't" do the uucp (i.e. garp!decvax is
down) applies this same methodology the message will get thru, AS LONG AS
THEY APPLY THE "IF I CAN GET IT TO A NEIGHBOUR, DON'T MESS WITH IT" bit.

N.B. Just in case the message DOES start looping (e.g. garp thinks the cheapest
way to decwrl is thru lakart, with a broken path out of here) I keep a check
on message ID's for all letters passing thru, on the fourth time of seeing,
they are returned to sender, along the reply path that came in originally.
i.e. the data file looks like:

	XX00010030@pallio.UUCP	1	pallio!dg

where the 1 is the count of times I've seen the message.

Note that if the message path was garp!harvard!xait!lakart!cfisun!.....
(which will be cfisun!..... by the time I see it) then I'm not going to
mess with it, because I can just give it to cfisun and let them send it
on, hence the risk of "looping" is almost nil.

The point of this system is that a valid (even if hand-crafted) path is
left alone, which is basically what everyone is screaming about, but it
still allows me to use lakart as a router for pallio. This I have to do,
because I can't ever see fitting pathalias onto a CP/M machine :-). Of
course, as soon as we all follow killer's lead, and lakart becomes
lakart.boston.ma.us, and pallio becomes pallio.lakart.boston.ma.us then
bang paths become a thing of the past. Now if someone could tell me
how to do this .....
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu	  	  +---+

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (12/02/88)

[Tynan]
# b)  "Hmm.  I don't want to use that link unless I have to"

Simplest solution to this is: don't advertise the path in your map entry.

# However, if someone wants to cost this particular site a lot of money, they
# could hand-route a whole pile of large mail directly to UUNET.

If they knew about the unadvertised link, and if they had dark intentions.

If and when this ever happened, I think an active response is better than the
passive response of rerouting.  Active in what way?  Yelling, screaming,
complaining, pulling links, public flamage, etc.  This assumes that sending
the person private e-mail doesn't work.

It gets pretty far fetched, but even this contrived example doesn't make a
case for limited rerouting.

I rerouted "decwrl!ucbvax!foobar.berkeley.edu!user" into the more direct
"user@foobar.berkeley.edu" because ucbvax is a Vax 750 and it can route
packets more easily than it can route mail messages.  I didn't want to
advertise decwrl as a domain server to the .berkeley.edu domain, but in
fact _any_ directly connected Internet host could be considered such since
Berkeley allows external IP traffic to all machines on its internal net.

_That_ is an example of limited rerouting to address a specific need.  It
wasn't a single individual, noone had any dark intentions, and noone came
up with a way to tell the world that "decwrl!foobar.berkeley.edu!user"
would work without bogusly registering "decwrl .berkeley.edu".

--

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (12/02/88)

In article <2692@sultra.UUCP>, dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
> Just a quick thought on the psychology of active-rerouting...
> It seems to me, that there are two kinds of rerouters;
> 	a)  "That's a pretty poor way to route it, I can do better than that"
> 	b)  "Hmm.  I don't want to use that link unless I have to"

Ah, but only the first is what we've been calling active rerouting,
while the second, which deals only with the *next* link in the path,
is what we've been calling "routing", and which most of us have agreed
is just fine.

To use the terms Paul (I think) introduced recently: the first
involves "peeking"; the second doesn't, so it's ok (and isn't "active
rerouting").

So, I certainly agree with your conclusion that the first is obnoxious
and the second quite reasonable....

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/03/88)

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
> It would be great if there was another option something like;
> which meant that the bouncing site just returned the header.

	Absolutely a great idea.  A few years ago somebody around here
decided to get rn running.  I told him to get the source on tape but the
turkey decided to go ahead and have somebody halfway across the country
email it to him.  Well, the other turkey (the guy who mailed it) got our
turkey's name wrong so we, of course, bounced the whole friggin' 800 kbytes
of it.  To make life worse, when it got to the other end, the site that
sent it was down for a a few days so the return mail eventually timed out
in somebody's uucp queue and came back to us again.  Bad enough we paid to
mail 800 kbytes in the first place, we also paid to bounce it around the
country another two times!

	I don't remember the details of the path, but it included
allegra!ihnp4.  I'm sure allegra!mp remembers this one.  I think he said
that when he did the uucp stats for that month, lowly little phri showed up
at the top of the list for non-AT&T sites.  Had the various mailers
involved only bounce the headers instead of the whole files, a lot of money
would have been saved all around.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (12/03/88)

In article <989@tank.uchicago.edu>, matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) writes:
> More opinion:
>
> Anyone who even attempts to use the news-path as a mail address should
> question their own sanity.
>
> Anyone who attempts to have their news system preserve the validity of
> the news-path as a mail address should receive a pat on the head and a
> kick in the pants.

I have sent mail to reply to many news articles.  Due to a local situation,
I frequently have to edit the address.  Even with this, the MAILER-DAEMON
frequently barfs it back.

What I try then, and sometimes even try first, is the tail of the news path.
Surprisingly, this often works.  If it doesn't, and I consider it important
enough, and I cannot find an address somewhere else, I consult the systems
people.  That doesn't alway work, either.

Considering that I have been able to reach people by using the news-path to
get a mail address more easily than by other means, I resent Matt's attack on
my sanity.  I know enough to leave out parts of the path, but I cannot see the
use of a full news-path by a less experienced user of email as insane.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/04/88)

In article <360@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:

    N.B. Just in case the message DOES start looping (e.g. garp thinks
    the cheapest way to decwrl is thru lakart, with a broken path out
    of here) I keep a check on message ID's for all letters passing
    thru, on the fourth time of seeing, they are returned to sender,
    along the reply path that came in originally.  i.e. the data file
    looks like:

	XX00010030@pallio.UUCP  1       pallio!dg

    where the 1 is the count of times I've seen the message.

The problem with dynamic routing (because rerouting, peeking, or what
else you call this hideous sin :-> is dynamic adaptive routing) is that
it requires a cooperative, distributed adaptive routing algorithm, just
like old ARPAnet. And devising one that fits the UUCP mould is not
easy. And having it adopted by everybody is even less easy. As all
rerouters always say: "if only we kept up to date maps everywhere"
(read: distributed routing database maintenance in realtime), and "if
only we had a good algorithm to avoid loops, losses, etc..." (read:
distributed dynamic adaptive routing with local knowledge).

To make dynamic routing possible you have to have a way to ensure that
all sites have the same software, all sites cooperate in the
distributed updating of the routing database, all sites cooperate in
running the distributed adaptive routing algorithm. This may be
possible on the internet (maybe :->).  It cannot be done, by
definition, on USENET, which is a loose band of independent sites.

In article <360@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) also writes:

    Of course, as soon as we all follow killer's lead, and lakart becomes
    lakart.boston.ma.us, and pallio becomes pallio.lakart.boston.ma.us
    then bang paths become a thing of the past. Now if someone could
    tell me how to do this .....

This is again the old, tired confusion, apparent in another part of
your article as well, between names and routes.

First of all, domainization, I will repeat here for the NTH time, is
only a way to help have unique names, and, even in its limited purpose,
requires some central administration. Thank goodness this is
lightweight enough that USENET can live with it.

Domainization can also be extended to imply name service where b.a is
the holder of the map for *.b.a, and route service where b.a is the
gateway to *.b.a; note that often both choices are appallingly
inefficient, as proximity in the domain space does not imply any
proximity in the connectivity space.

A bang path, and this is something that very few people realize, is
BOTH a NAMING device and a ROUTING device. It is NOT JUST A ROUTING
DEVICE. In particular, since host names need not be unique, a given
host is named by a bang path, not by the host name alone.  It is just a
coincidence that a bang path can be also used as a route, just as it is
a coincidence that a domain name can be used as a route.

Given this, your rules of clipping a bang path if you find your site
name or one of your neighbours' in the path are quite wrong, because
there might be MANY sites with the same host name. What would you do
with a message reaching you with a further path like
"uunet!enea!lakart!carlsson"?

In other words bang paths are just like unix filesystem paths, but
there is no root.  Domain based names at least have a root (well,
approximately) and therefore ambiguities cannot exist. Note that in a
sense domain based names are paths, paths in the name space, just like
bang names are; if one assumes that the connectivity space is shaped
like the name space, both may be used as routes,

The differences between domain and bang paths are first that the former
have a tree shaped namespace (arguably a DAG shaped namespace, but many
frown at allowing this), the latter are paths through an arbitrary
unrooted graph, and second that normally domain paths are good for
naming and bad for routing, and bang paths viceversa.  routespace
paths, and bang paths viceversa.

The complete solution is: use domain names for unique identification of
hosts, use bang paths for routing, do generate bang routes at the
source, statically, do not do dynamic routing (unless among consenting
sites that can be relied upon to maintain among them consistent
distributed map databases and distributed adaptive routing algorithms,
i.e. within the internet), and do not rely on domain names to locate
map servers or to do routing.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi			INET: pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk
Sw.Eng. Group, Dept. of Computer Science	UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (12/06/88)

Here's some more food for thought.  I received a message from a site over the
weekend, which had the following path:

	From: uunet!pyramid!mips!original-site!root

What's so interesting about this?  My machine talks directly to pyramid.
However, pyramid sent the mail to uunet instead.  OK, that's not too fatal,
a common mistake.  But Wait!  There's More!  My machine ALSO talks directly
to mips!  The only thing I can surmise is that the original-site hand-routed
the message.  However, I don't think it would have been a henious sin on the
part of mips (or pyramid) to dump the rest of the path, and drop the mail onto
my site directly.  Comments?
						- Der
--

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (12/06/88)

From article <321@aber-cs.UUCP>, by pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi):
> The problem with dynamic routing (because rerouting, peeking, or what
> else you call this hideous sin :->

Didn't you read the rest of my article?

AGAIN I SAY:

IF I CANT REACH THE FIRST HOP, I'LL PEEK, AND JUSTIFY IT THUSLY:

I've got to go to my maps WHETHER I GO FOR THE FIRST SITE OR THE LAST.

HENCE WHICHEVER SITE I CHOSE TO AIM FOR, IF IT'S PATH FROM HERE IS
WRONG I'M DEAD.

SO I MIGHT AS WELL BE DEAD "efficiently"

Or to put it another way, peeking in the case when I can't get to the
next site is not making the situation worse, because:

THE SITUATION DIDN'T "GET BAD" WHEN I PEEKED, IT GOT BAD WHEN I WAS FORCED
TO ROUTE, Because the "errors" creep in not when I decide which site I'm
going to shoot for, but when I decide how to get there. The problem with
agressive re-routers (i.e. those that peek when they don't have to) is that
they can break a good path. I'm not breaking a good path BECAUSE THE PATH
I WAS GIVEN WAS ALREADY BAD.

On the subject of duplicate names, I say the following. Duplicate names
will die out "genetically", because as I have said in mail to a couple,
take an example like edsel on the west coast. I tried mailing them, got
re-routed, and bounced from edsel in New Jersey (the real one). My reaction
was pity for the sysadmin of west coast edsel that he (or she) didn't have
the smarts to pick a unique sitename. I just wonder how much more lost mail
it's going to take before the message gets home. Whether people care to
admit it or not, .uucp is becoming a domain (albeit an unofficial one)
Look at my signature for proof (last line in particular).

Yeah sure, we don't have a nameserver (let's leave harvard.harvard.edu
out of the equation for a while)
Yeah sure, we don't have a central authority.

But an increasing number of people know how to deal with .uucp sites
and anarchy is better than no form of government at all.

--

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (12/10/88)

>> It would be great if there was another option something like;
>> which meant that the bouncing site just returned the header.
>
>	Absolutely a great idea.  A few years ago somebody around here

In the mean time, you can just bounce the first 100 lines (or
whatever) of the message.  Small messages are complete, large ones are
clipped.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Support ISO 8859/1		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (12/13/88)

In article <370@lakart.UUCP>, dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
> IF I CANT REACH THE FIRST HOP, I'LL PEEK, AND JUSTIFY IT THUSLY:
>
> I've got to go to my maps WHETHER I GO FOR THE FIRST SITE OR THE LAST.
>
> HENCE WHICHEVER SITE I CHOSE TO AIM FOR, IF IT'S PATH FROM HERE IS
> WRONG I'M DEAD.

No, you're still missing the essential point.  In the path

	a!b!c!d

you can't be sure that the "c" known to "b" is the same "c" as is in
your maps.  You are, however, justified in looking for "a" in your
maps, because the path

	you!a!b!c!d

wants the "a" that "you" know, the "b" that "a" knows, the "c" that
"b" knows, etc.

As a practical example, I've received a couple of failed mail messages
intended for a site named "jetson" in West Germany.  The failure
message was sent from (if I remember correctly)

	ifistg!MAILER-DAEMON
	unido!somewhere!jetson!user

Someone, perhaps unido, did "peeking" and sent it to the jetson in the
maps (me), causing two transatlantic crossings (one for the original
failure message and one for my failure message back to the
MAILER-DAEMON).

If no one had "peeked", it would have gone to "somewhere", which would
have sent it to its "jetson", and everything would have been fine (and
cheaper).

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (12/14/88)

[Owens]
# As a practical example, I've received a couple of failed mail messages
# intended for a site named "jetson" in West Germany.  The failure
# message was sent from (if I remember correctly)
#	ifistg!MAILER-DAEMON
#	unido!somewhere!jetson!user
# Someone, perhaps unido, did "peeking" and sent it to the jetson in the
# maps (me), causing two transatlantic crossings (one for the original
# failure message and one for my failure message back to the
# MAILER-DAEMON).

Unido's policy is to reroute based on the facts that (a) they have to pay
lots of money for the transatlanctic crossings -- and in fact they charge
this back to other German sites, and (b) the German namespace is totally
controlled and there can be no duplicate host names.  Though why they
reroute things bound for non-German sites and send them to other non-German
sites, I cannot fathom.

<pcsbst!jkh> was trying to send mail to <unido!uunet!vixie!smegma!mdg> for a
while, but since unido insisted on sending it to <uunet!ames!uport!smegma!mdg>
and because <uport!smegma!> was down and <uport!portmaster> was brain dead, we
finally solved it by changing <smegma> to <noe> and creating <pctbst!pyramid!>.

I have a message for those of you who think you know a better route.  But I
cannot repeat it in polite company.  If the postmaster of unido would like to
speak to me in person, I will be in Germany from 16-December to 5-January;
send mail to <pcsbst!jkh> to arrange an appointment.

--

jep@fantasci.UUCP (Joseph E Poplawski) (12/16/88)

In article <2696@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
>In article <VIXIE.88Nov29011054@bacchus.pa.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
>>
>> the default case.  A header that said "X-REROUTE: YES" with the default
>
>I suggested in the past (and yes, I suggesting it again), that instead of a
>special purpose header, we use something like: X-OPTIONS: REROUTE.  This
>way, other options could be added without having to change the basic RFC822.
         ..
         ..
>path.  It would be great if there was another option something like;

I think the X-REROUTE: or OPTIONS: field should have reroute defaulted as YES
so that novices who don't know what they are doing can hope the rerouters and
smart mailers can figure out the best way to get it there, while the experts
and other proficient mail users can change it if they desire.

-Jo
|  Joseph E Poplawski  (Jo)                   US Mail:  1621 Jackson Street   |
|                                                       Cinnaminson NJ 08077  |
|  UUCP:..!rutgers!rochester!moscom!telesci!fantasci!jep                      |
|       ..!princeton!telesci!fantasci!jep                                     |
|       ..!pyrnj!telesci!fantasci!jep           Phone:  +1 609 786-8099 home  |

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/18/88)

In article <VIXIE.88Dec14065701@bacchus.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:

    Unido's policy is to reroute based on the facts that (a) they have to pay
    lots of money for the transatlanctic crossings -- and in fact they charge
    this back to other German sites, and (b) the German namespace is totally
    controlled and there can be no duplicate host names.

In essence, they don't run a USENET, they run an INTERNET type of thing, i.e
a controlled environment in which "relative addressing, source routing" can
be replaced by "abolute names, dynamic routing".

The european uucp network is entirely based on these assumptions.
Unfortunately, these and other factors tend to make the european uucp
network tree shaped as well, with choke points at the non leaf nodes.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi			INET: pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk
Sw.Eng. Group, Dept. of Computer Science	UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
UCW, Penglais, Aberystwyth, WALES SY23 3BZ (UK)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (01/09/89)

[Vixie]
# Unido's policy is to reroute based on the facts that (a) they have to pay
# lots of money for the transatlanctic crossings -- and in fact they charge
# this back to other German sites, and (b) the German namespace is totally
# controlled and there can be no duplicate host names.

[Grandi]
# In essence, they don't run a USENET, they run an INTERNET type of thing, i.e
# a controlled environment in which "relative addressing, source routing" can
# be replaced by "abolute [sic] names, dynamic routing".

This explaination has been advanced previously by a EUUG person, by a UUNET
person, and by a UNIDO person.  I explained to all three of them that they are
of course free to reroute any mail which is bound for a host which is inside
of their domain of control.

My complaint against UNIDO's rerouting is that they feel justified in rerouting
when the destination host is NOT in their domain of control.  Jordan tried
for a long time to send mail to <unido!uunet!vixie!smegma!mdg>, which was a
perfectly valid path.  UNIDO decided to send it to <...!uport!smegma!mdg>.

But the uport!smegma link was broken, as in completely dead, no-workee, zonked.
And <uport!postmaster> was not answering their mail; they had never corrected
their UUCP Map entry and since they weren't answering their mail there was no
way to ask them to correct the problem.

We asked UNIDO to please stop rerouting since the hosts they were rerouting
among were NOT UNDER THEIR CONTROL.  We were told, effectively, to piss off.
<unido!postmaster> absolutely insisted that they were doing us a favor and
that we should contact <uport!smegma>.  No other options were given.

Finally we changed the host name of "smegma" to "noe", which had no old links
advertised.  Jordan also set up a pcsbst!pyramid link and he now avoids UNIDO
on all of his outgoing mail.