[comp.mail.misc] How do I send mail to BITNET

johnnyr@ihuxv.ATT.COM (John R. Rosenberg) (01/26/89)

I need to send mail to a machine on bitnet
from my machine (which is UUCP).

The machine name is IDUI1, located at the university of
Idaho.

Thanks in advance for a speedy reply.

John Rosenberg
..!att!ihuxv!johnnyr

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (01/26/89)

Ok.  This does it .. time for me to begin Commonly Asked Mail Questions:

In article <3136@ihuxv.ATT.COM> johnnyr@ihuxv.ATT.COM (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>I need to send mail to a machine on bitnet
>from my machine (which is UUCP).

A: You route the mail through a UUCP-BITNET gateway.  The best known such
   gateway is psuvax1.{uucp,bitnet,psu.edu}.  You do this like:

	path!path!psuvax1!host.bitnet!user

   Where "path!path" is the path from your site to psuvax1.  There are
   other gateways listed in the file d.Top which is posted occasionally
   in comp.mail.maps.

   If you use pathalias to generate a routing database for you, and have
   your mailer consult this database when sending out mail, then all
   you should have to do is use "host.bitnet!user" or "user@host.bitnet".

Sorry John.  But I've been meaning to start this file anyway and your
question prompted me to do it.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) (01/28/89)

Personally I'd try:

..!uunet!node.BITNET!user

-OR-

..!psuvax1!node.BITNET!user

                       -Tim

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (02/02/89)

In article <1785NU099138@NDSUVM1> NU099138@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Tim McDonough) writes:
|Personally I'd try:
|
|..!uunet!node.BITNET!user

this won't do much good... use ..!psuvax1!node.BITNET... or look in the maps,
see who your nearest advertised .BITNET "domain" gateway is, and use that.
uunet will just route to whichever's closest to it, not necessarily the
same as the closest to you (i.e. most cost-efficient)

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | "You are the angel of
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |  death, and I am the