[comp.mail.misc] Gateway between 3Com 3+mail and Unix mail?

matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) (02/10/89)

Hello!  Here at the University of Amsterdam we have use 3Com networking
software on both our PCs and Macs.  We also have a couple of Unix boxes
on the Ethernet, and a FastPath to connect the Phonenet to the Ethernet.

Has anyone worked out a way to gateway 3+mail to Unix, and vica-versa?  It
would be really nice to still be able to use 3+mail, which our PC users
are accustomed to using, and still talk to the wider world.

Thanks in advance....

--
Matthew Lewis, University of Amsterdam		Grote Bickersstraat 72
31-20-52 51 220					1013 KS  Amsterdam

frankh@durin.middle_earth.COM (Frank Halsema) (02/16/89)

In article <461@uvabick.UUCP>, matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) writes:
> Hello!  Here at the University of Amsterdam we have use 3Com networking
> software on both our PCs and Macs.  We also have a couple of Unix boxes
> on the Ethernet, and a FastPath to connect the Phonenet to the Ethernet.
>
> Has anyone worked out a way to gateway 3+mail to Unix, and vica-versa?  It
> would be really nice to still be able to use 3+mail, which our PC users
> are accustomed to using, and still talk to the wider world.
>
> Thanks in advance....

I have been asked to solve this too and would be interested if anyone
has worked out the details

                                                               *
                                                             * *
Frank Halsema                                             /\* *
SPARTA, Inc.                                             / .\*
23041 de la Carlota, Suite 400                          / /\.\
Laguna Hills Ca, 92653                                 / .\.  \
(714) 768-8161                                         \...\  /
(714) 583-9114 FAX                                     *\.\/ /
                                                      * *\  /
durin!frankh                                         ***  \/

mbroadbe@gldsyd.OZ (Mark Broadbent) (02/20/89)

matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) and frankh@durin.middle_earth.COM
(Frank Halsema), both ask:
> > Has anyone worked out a way to gateway 3+mail to Unix, and vica-versa?

I also am looking for a solution to this problem.

Mark Broadbent   		ACSnet:  mbroadbe@gldsyd.oz
Unix System Analyst		UUCP:    ...!uunet!munnari!gldsyd.oz!mbroadbe
                                ARPANET:  mbroadbe%gldsyd.oz@uunet.uu.net

GOULD ELECTRONICS Pty. Limited. (Computer Systems Division)
16th Floor, 122 Arthur St,		 	+++
North Sydney, 2060.			    ==== +++  GOULD
N.S.W.  Australia.				+++
Tel. 61-2-957-2522

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (02/23/89)

In article <20@gldsyd.OZ> mbroadbe@gldsyd.OZ (Mark Broadbent) writes:
>matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) and frankh@durin.middle_earth.COM
>(Frank Halsema), both ask:
>> > Has anyone worked out a way to gateway 3+mail to Unix, and vica-versa?
>
>I also am looking for a solution to this problem.

	supposedly, 3Com has a new product which solves this problem.

	could someone at 3com please respond further !?!?
	are you out there???  hello???

--
   Steve Elias (chipcom!eli@spdcc.com);((6172399406)%(6178906844)) (smile^3)

matthew@uvabick.UUCP (Matthew D. Lewis) (02/24/89)

Hello everyone.  First, I would like to aplogize for not having specified
a followup to on the original article.  There is one here, and I think that
comp.mail.misc is a good place for this.

As far as I can see, there is one commercial solution.  It is quite
expensive.  Here is the messsage which contains all of the particulars:

From: Glen_Foster.CAC.CAC@a.darpa.mil
Received-Date: Sat, 11 Feb 89 12:55:44 EST
Subject: 3Com <-> SMTP gateway

DARPA had a gateway built to connect 3Com mail and Internet mail systems
that works pretty well.  This is being composed in 3Com's mail user
agent.  The gateway is built on a MicroVax running 4.3 bsd unix and a
PS/2 model 50 running MS-DOS.  The PS/2 is dedicated to the gateway
function and is not a user machine.

The vendor who built this has come out with a commercial product named
"Promulgate" running on a Sun 386i (no MS/DOS machine needed).  The
project manager for this development is the second cc: name above.

Full contact information:

Name:     Gregory Bolino
Company:  Management Systems Designers, Inc.
Postal:   131 Park Street, N. E.
          Vienna, VA 22180
          USA
Phone:    (703) 281-7440
Internet: gbolino@a.darpa.mil
          msd@a.isi.edu
UUCP:     uunet!gbolino@a.darpa.mil
I spoke to Mr. Bolino, and the solution sounds quite elegant.  Essentially,
the product consists of a program written with the 3Com Mail API, which talks
to the mail server and the Name Server.  3+Mail users can address people
by their Unix-style addresses, specifying (in the address field of 3+Mail)

{george@foo.bar}

or so.  Or, the administrator can set up a Name Server domain, with
Unix-style addresses as properties.  The 3+Mail user just specifies
a name in another domain.

Now for the bad news.  For a poor, struggling academic sort of place like
us, $30,000+ is a bit too expensive.  Maybe not for you...

Further, people (including us) have heard of some hack that someone at 3Com
built.   They use (used?) it internally, but never were willing to release
it.  If anyone hears anything, do let me know.

Thanks a lot for all the responses. If I hear anything else I will
post to this group.

Regards!