[comp.mail.misc] research.att.com SMTP mail receiver hosed?

mer6g@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Marc E. Rouleau) (03/04/89)

In article <1498@ucsd.EDU> brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) writes:
> Has anyone successfully delivered internet SMTP mail to host
> 'research.att.com' in the last 10 days or so?  We have been connecting
> at least every half hour for the last week+ and ALWAYS get the
> '421 we're too busy' message [...]

I had the same experience.  Fortunately, the 421 bit is a lie.

I run MMDF, and I just changed a piece of code that went something
like this

	if (retn != 220)
		exit;
	if (retn != 220 && retn != 421)
		exit;

Research does one other thing strangely right now.  After the closing
'<CR>.<CR>' to indicate the end of a message, it waits for an unusually
long period of time before replying "221 All Is Well" or whatever.
I jacked up the timeout period to six minutes after observing delays
as long as 4:30.

	-- Marc Rouleau, UVA Academic Computing

brian@ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) (03/04/89)

Just spoke to the AT&T postmaster, Bill Cheswick, and he tells me that
indeed their mail receiver was hosed.  However, it's now fixed and their
poor little VAX-750 is pounding away receiving mail, so things should
get back to normal in a day or three.

	Brian Kantor	UCSD Postmaster
		UCSD Office of Academic Computing	(619) 534-6865
		UCSD C-010, La Jolla, CA 92093 USA	fax: 619 534 7018
		brian@ucsd.edu	BRIAN@UCSD ucsd!brian

dmr@alice.UUCP (03/04/89)

*.att.com, aka att.arpa, has indeed been suffering lately.  A combination
of temporary absence of its tenders, sour routing information, and
(most fundamentally) an attempt to stuff ten pounds of communication
in a five pound bag nearly did it in.

The situation is a bit better now thanks to some reconfiguration.
For the longer term, we are planning to get more capacious
hardware.

For the short term, be persistent, and please accept our apologies.