[comp.mail.misc] New user of e-mail

rmr@lzfme.att.com (R.ROSEWALL) (03/14/89)

I have been sending and receiving messages for a
rather short time.  I have no concept at all how
these messages are routed, what is Bitnet, what is
UUCP, what is Internet, how are path names developed
for e-mail, how are newsgroups created, etc.
In short, I am simply a naive user.

Does anyone have the time to send me a tutorial
about these mysteries?  For that matter, does
anyone know where I can learn about them on my own?

Thanks in advance.

Roger M. Rosewall
E-Mail:  rmr@lzfme.att.com

S-Mail:  AT&T Bell Labs             Tel. 201/957-6370
         Rm. 4F-417                 Fax  201/957-7222
         200 Laurel Ave.
         Middletown, NJ  07748

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (03/17/89)

In article <1180@lzfme.att.com>, rmr@lzfme.att.com (R.ROSEWALL) writes:

> Does anyone have the time to send me a tutorial
> about these mysteries?  For that matter, does
> anyone know where I can learn about them on my own?

There are two very good books on *NIX mail (and other communications):

o	Using UUCP and USENET (A Nutshell handbook from O'Reilly &
	Assoc.--call 1-800-555-1212 and ask for their 800 number); and

o	UNIX Communications (published by Howard Sams; check your local
	bookstore.  B. Dalton probably has it in stock, but can certainly
	get it for you.)

--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org