[comp.mail.misc] How to mail into/out of FIDONET?

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (04/22/89)

Actually, could someone tell us generally how to get from net A to net B, where
A, B can be any one of Fidonet, Bitnet, Usenet ...

                                             Terry Ingoldsby
                                             Land Information Related Systems
                                             The City of Calgary

                                             ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
                                                     or
                                ...{alberta,ubc-cs,utai}!calgary!ctycal!ingoldsb

nanook@novavax.UUCP (Keith Dickinson) (04/27/89)

in article <289@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) says:

> Actually, could someone tell us generally how to get from net A to net B, where
> A, B can be any one of Fidonet, Bitnet, Usenet ...
>
>                                              Terry Ingoldsby
>                                              Land Information Related Systems
>                                              The City of Calgary
>
>                                              ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP

I run a Fidonet system that is a FULL gateway between Fido and Usenet. I will
forward any mail/news to/from any system that is PC-Pursuitable. If someone
on Fidonet feels like polling me (and they are not PCPable) I'll handle their
traffic for them.

For more information and docuumentation about the gateway you can write to
the address below.

Keith
---
          __     Fidonet : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave New World South
         /  \    Internet: nanook@muadib.FIDONET.ORG
        / oo|\     or    : nanook@f3.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG
       (_\  |_)  UUCP    : novavax!muadib!nanook
  _    /__\@'__  USnail  : 433 SE 13th CT. J-202, Deerfild Beach, Fl. 33441
 //   / |     |
((   /  | (*) |  "Speak UUCP Fido, Speak!"
 \\/  \ |__U__|     ______
  \   /_ || \\_    / FIDO \  muadib is a FREE gateway for mail between
   \____)|_) \_)  (________) Usenet and FidoNet. For info write to Root.

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (04/27/89)

In article <289@ctycal.UUCP> ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>Actually, could someone tell us generally how to get from net A to net B, where
>A, B can be any one of Fidonet, Bitnet, Usenet ...

    Because each network has their own addressing scheme and
different type of gateways, I don't think a general description
would work.  I can certainly describe the method to send mail to
fidonet, but it would not apply to sending mail to other
networks.

	     Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108

nomad@verdix.com (Lee Damon) (04/28/89)

In article <1226@novavax.UUCP> nanook@novavax.UUCP (Keith Dickinson) writes:
>I run a Fidonet system that is a FULL gateway between Fido and Usenet. I will
>forward any mail/news to/from any system that is PC-Pursuitable. If someone

PLEASE, before you get set to use a particular gateway into or out
of fidonet - CHECK THE MAPS.  There are about 25 registered gateways,
and more are coming online each month.

We are trying to set it up so there is a gateway that is local to each
net, so you don't have to call LD to Florida or Arizona or whereever to
get the mail through.  However, the default gateway for nets that don't
have gates is stjhmc.fidonet.org - please use that instead of muadib.

Scan for .fidonet.org in the UUCP maps, or send me mail (agora!nomad
or nomad@agora.hf.intel.com) and I'll send you the entire list of
authorized nodes and what nets they are authorized to gate for. (Note
that muadib.fidonet.org is not authorized to gate for any net other
than its own.)

Thank you
nomad (hostmaster, fidonet.org)
castle!fidohost
  ============= Lee Damon                                                \
work: verdix!nomad or nomad@verdix.com                                    \
play:  {agora,tessi,verdix}!castle!nomad or nomad@castle.uucp            / \
"God" created man in its image, and man being ever humble returned the favor.