[comp.mail.misc] Domain names

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (05/24/89)

In article <160@zebra.UUCP> vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) writes:
>	I have been confused for a long time about how to interpret
>domain names.  "Bang" pathes seem quite logical in that they describe the
>step by step path from one user to another.

>First, my
>dictionary has one definition of "domain" as "a sphere of influence".
>I can't see how the .COM on your address has any relevance to the delivery
>of a message when there are so many .COM's scattered all over the country.

Domain names ARE based on "sphere of influence", and are not designed to
imply routing information.  To find out how to route mail to
killer.dallas.texas.us, you ask the us domain server about texas.us, the
texas.us server about dallas.texas.us, and the dallas.texas.us for
MX (mail forwarding) (or if no MX record exists, A (internet numerical
address)) for killer.dallas.texas.edu.  Domain servers are in adminstrative
control for their domains, and don't nessisarily corespond to physical
connectivity.  Every domain record includes timeouts, so stale
information should not be used.  (If changes are planned, the timeout
can be decreased temporarily.)

Uucp routes contain to much information, that is frequently wrong.
(Uucp map files are ALWAYS out of date.)  I want to specify who the
mail gets sent to, not every post office that the message must pass
through to get there.

For personal systems or small companies, the .US domain is set up in
a geographical manner (system.city.state.US, note that the geography
does not imply connectivity) and is free to join if you have arranged
an Internet mail forwarder.  (A site on the Internet that will forward
mail to you, possibly through one or more uucp hops.)

--
Bob Larson	Arpa:	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {uunet,cit-vax}!usc!skat!blarson