[comp.mail.misc] Electronic flirting

hilda@ese.essex.ac.uk (Hilda Breakspear) (05/25/89)

This article is hopelessly plagurised from New Scientist, 20 May 1989.
Letter from Susan J Behrens, Cambridge

I'd like to mention the vast potential that e-mail holds for two colleagues
"getting to know one another".  Flirting by e-mail benefits those of us who
cannot control our fundamental frequencies when embarrassed, who tend to
blush easily, and who may fear that incriminating mail will be carelessly
left around the home or office.  Of course, it all leaves us little hope
for one day seeing our collected letters in print.  But come on, you
don't really think all those people at terminals are really working do you?

scs@vax3.iti.org (Steve Simmons) (05/27/89)

In article <1017@servax0.essex.ac.uk> hilda@ese.UUCP (Hilda Breakspear) writes:
>This article is hopelessly plagurised from New Scientist, 20 May 1989.
>Letter from Susan J Behrens, Cambridge
>
>I'd like to mention the vast potential that e-mail holds for two colleagues
>"getting to know one another".  Flirting by e-mail . . .

Speaking as postmaster for a site full of bad typists, I find being
the receiver of undeliverable mail a fascinating way to study the
mating habits of academics.  This is requires special delicacy in
handling when paragraph one of the letter contains high-priority
work-oriented data, but paragraph two is a graphic description of
the senders intent for the upcoming weekend.  Should I correct and
forward?  Inform the sender?  Decisions, decisions.

Steve Simmons         Just another midwestern boy
scs@vax3.iti.org  -- or -- ...!sharkey!itivax!scs
"Think of c++ as an object-oriented assembler..."