[comp.mail.misc] Return-view-to:

jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (06/09/89)

Is the `Return-view-to:' header legal ?  If so what should a user
agent do with it ?

> To:  jpp
> Subject:  test
> Return-receipt-to: jpp
> Return-view-to: jpp
> From: jpp

While I'm on the subject what whould I do with return receipt tickets
from dead `non-domain' mailers (like sco op) ?

John Pettitt
postmaster@specialix.co.uk
--
John Pettitt, Specialix, Giggs Hill Rd, Thames Ditton, Surrey, U.K., KT7 0TR
{backbone}!ukc!slxsys!jpp     jpp@slxinc.uucp     jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (06/12/89)

In article <3990@slxsys.specialix.co.uk> jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
> Is the `Return-view-to:' header legal ?  If so what should a user
> agent do with it ?
a User Agent?  Don't you mean the Transport Agent?  User agents don't deal
with things like retrun-reciept-to, etc... MTAs to.  but nevertheless, this
is something I haven't heard of before, so I won't venture a guess as to what
to do with it.  However, I might shed some light on the origin of the problem.

This comes frokm sco's funky little Office Automation package they developed.
Mail was written without domains in mind or the foresight of a networking
community.  That is, this mailer does not handle mailing outside of sco
very well.  If it successfully delivers mail out of sco, the headers are
outrageous -- it only allows one address on the To: header and it has all
the names, address, domains, hostnames, pathes and sometimes even comment
all scrunched together with a wild assortment of bangs and at's and the like
interspersed between them.  I once got a header:

    To: island!michaelb@island.sun.argv.uucp!jamescb.sco.maui@heller.dan.com

when it was supposed to be addressed to:

    To: sun!island!maui!argv (dan heller), jamescb@sco.com, michaelb

The good side of this is that sco does has a growing community of mush
users within the company.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (06/13/89)

From article <14552@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, by dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller):
> In article <3990@slxsys.specialix.co.uk> jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
>> Is the `Return-view-to:' header legal ?  If so what should a user
>> agent do with it ?
> a User Agent?  Don't you mean the Transport Agent?  User agents don't deal
> with things like retrun-reciept-to, etc... MTAs to.  but nevertheless, this
> is something I haven't heard of before, so I won't venture a guess as to what
> to do with it.  However, I might shed some light on the origin of the problem.

> This comes frokm sco's funky little Office Automation package they developed.

> The good side of this is that sco does has a growing community of mush
> users within the company.
> Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

The Return-view-to: is by definition a user agent problem.  The idea is it
sends a receipt when the user reads (views) the mail, not on final transport
stage.  The reason for my original posting is that we have just installed SCO
OP for our non-technical users and they are sending mail using the OP
mailer (which for all it's faults is not bad for non technical users).

One of the `features' of the op mailer is that is can generate `view' receipts
and track which ones you have had back so far.  My problem is that the
technical users all use mush (what else ? :-) and now I have to hack
support for view receipts into mush.

I would like to do a good job of it,  I.E. conform to any standards that
may be applicable and be compatible with the rest of the world.  So the
orgiginal question remains:

	What should a mail user agent do with `Return-view-to:' ?

John Pettitt
postmaster@specialix.co.uk

--
John Pettitt, Specialix, Giggs Hill Rd, Thames Ditton, Surrey, U.K., KT7 0TR
{backbone}!ukc!slxsys!jpp     jpp@slxinc.uucp     jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk
Tel: +44-1-941-2564       Fax: +44-1-941-4098         Telex: 918110 SPECIX G

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (06/14/89)

Note, I added comp.mail.mush and comp.unix.xenix to the newsgroups list ...

In article jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
> From article by dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller):
> > In article jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
> >> Is the `Return-view-to:' header legal ?  If so what should a user
> >> agent do with it ?
> > a User Agent?  Don't you mean the Transport Agent?  User agents don't deal
> > with things like retrun-reciept-to, etc... MTAs do.  but nevertheless, this
> > is something I haven't heard of before, so I won't venture a guess as to what
> > to do with it.  However, I might shed some light on the origin of the problem.
> > This comes from sco's funky little Office Automation package they developed.

> > The good side of this is that sco does has a growing community of mush
> > users within the company.
> > Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>
>
> The Return-view-to: is by definition a user agent problem.  The idea is it
> sends a receipt when the user reads (views) the mail, not on final transport
> stage.  The reason for my original posting is that we have just installed SCO
> OP for our non-technical users and they are sending mail using the OP
> mailer (which for all it's faults is not bad for non technical users).

> One of the `features' of the op mailer is that is can generate `view' receipts
> and track which ones you have had back so far.  My problem is that the
> technical users all use mush (what else ? :-) and now I have to hack
> support for view receipts into mush.

> I would like to do a good job of it,  I.E. conform to any standards that
> may be applicable and be compatible with the rest of the world.  So the
> orgiginal question remains:

> 	What should a mail user agent do with `Return-view-to:' ?
>
> John Pettitt
> postmaster@specialix.co.uk

As you've described it, this is a very potentially buggy thing to do:
the UA should not be involved.  However, let's address the issue anyway...

What should the UA do with Return-View-To: headers?  The same as what
the MTA does with Return-Receipt-To: headers -- mail back to the person
or address listed on the header.  This means one of two things has to
happen --  either the address on the header has to be complete and
guranateed to work as it is sent by the originator of the message, or
the MTAs in the path have to know about and modify this header en route.
The latter, of course, is impossible since there is no specification for
this in the RFC.  It also implies the same problems that Return-Path:
and From: headers have --that the address might be invalid due to bad
or inconsistent MTAs (see previous discussion about rewriting From: lines
in comp.mail.misc).

Therefore, this new option must be restricted to a local (LAN) environment.
It's somewhat easier to implement this way, but many problems still exist.
As for the header and it's content, just have the user's login name only
listed:
    Return-View-To: argv
When the UA decides to reply to the user, it simply replies to the address
listed -- the MTA will resolve the login name (via aliases file or whatever).
Seems simple enough ... but this won't work anyway.  Consider the following
arguments.

If the UA is responsible for this, then consider what happens when the
user reads a message: a reply is now automatically sent, the message
is flagged for having read the message and for having been replied to,
but the user e(x)its out of the mail program not updating anything.
There is no way to save the fact that the message has been read or
replied to.

Ok, let's hypothetically solve that problem by forcing updates for such
situations.  'x' will now update -only- those messages that have been
replied to.  What happens if the folder is read-only?  The forced updated
cannot happen.

Let's say that the user hasn't read the message, but instead has saved
it in another folder or a filename or has printed it on the printer.
Should these actions be considered as having 'read' the message?  It's
a hazy area here, but I would argue "no" because it is not unlike
another hop in the path of the delivery of the message.  The printer
does not imply that the user has read the message, nor does saving it
to a plain file.  If you save it to a folder, you could save the extra
information that the message has been return-view-to'ed, but what if
you read the message *after* having saved it.  The message has been
viewed and the originator replied to, but what happens when the user
reads the message in that other folder the message was previously saved
to?  As far as that folder is concerned, it hasn't been read yet.  Should
it generate another reply?  How would it know not to?

The more I think about this, the more I conjure up cases which break
this system -- it is poor design to try to have the UA do it.  But, in
spite of all that and if you really want to do it in mush, then you want
to add a new flag (VIEWED) in mush.h as it will be a new flag added to
the m_flags field of the "msg" data structure.  Go into display_msg()
and when the message is read (is_read() is called), you can kludge a
reply_to_hdr value set to Return-Receipt-To and call reply_to() on that
message and generate an automatic reply indicating that the message has
been viewed.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

frank@ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar) (06/15/89)

Here's an idea:  Have the UA inform the MTA that Message-ID such-and-such,
located in file x, needs a Return-view-to processed.  The MTA then looks in
the indicated file for that message-id, and if it's there, it generates
the return and marks the message accordingly.

So the UA simply informs the MTA when a particular message has been read
(and contains a return-view-to header), and the MTA actually does the work.
What are the problems with this?  Any?
--
Frank Mayhar  ..!uunet!ladcgw!frank (frank@ladc.bull.com)
              Bull HN Los Angeles Development Center

jpp@slxsys.specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (06/16/89)

From article <438@ladcgw.ladc.bull.com>, by frank@ladc.bull.com (Frank Mayhar):
> Here's an idea:  Have the UA inform the MTA that Message-ID such-and-such,
> located in file x, needs a Return-view-to processed.  The MTA then looks in
> the indicated file for that message-id, and if it's there, it generates
> the return and marks the message accordingly.
>
> So the UA simply informs the MTA when a particular message has been read
> (and contains a return-view-to header), and the MTA actually does the work.
> What are the problems with this?  Any?

I like the idea of this, it does seem to be a step in the right direction
hever there are some big holes in it to be resolved.

1) How to communicate thi sfrom the MUA to the MTA in a know manner.

2) How to track multiple views of the same file I.E. the save it then read it
then read the saved version problem.

The original question came about because SCO OP mailer has view receipts,
however I would be very interested to hear what the X.400 standards have
in the way or receipts.

{backbone}!ukc!slxsys!jpp    jpp%slxinc@uunet.uu.net     jpp@specialix.co.uk