[comp.mail.misc] mail and news in Europe

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (06/24/89)

A couple of questions:

Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains? Or, to be more
succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (06/26/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun23144304@anableps.berkeley.edu> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Who administers the top-level domains in Europe?

Each European country has at least one site administering that country's
domain. In some cases, there are two or more sites claiming authority
for the same domain on different networks!

>						 If they are maintained by
>EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains?

No. If the site is using UUCP on EUnet, it is supposed to be a member of
the EUUG. The national backbone in each country maintains their own
domain tables. They may also provide name mappings for other sites that
are on different networks [eg X.400, Bitnet].

>							Or, to be more
>succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
>its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

No reason why not, provided the site is able to persuade a network
authority to register their name. This might not be so easy as it sounds.
If someone on that network has assumed responsibility for say the .de
domain, your site might only be allowed to register through whoever is
the authority for that domain.

For the example you give, if the company wants to register as a UUCP site
under the German domain, it would probably have to register through the
German UUCP backbone.

>Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
>Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
>Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

Not really. The major cost is the bit of wire that crosses the Atlantic
and how it is used. This depends mainly on the charging policies of the
various PTTs. The actual transport protocol used won't make much
difference. In some cases, NNTP would be no help at all. For instance,
the UK Academic community has free access to the Internet through a
gateway in London. The gateway only provides telnet, ftp and mail
service. It won't support NNTP or IP-level routing, so you can't get
news that way even if you wanted to.

		Jim

dfk@cwi.nl (Daniel Karrenberg) (06/26/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun23144304@anableps.berkeley.edu>
wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
>EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains?

In some countries the organisations running EUnet backbone host have
indeed registered the Internet toplevel domain with SRI-NIC.
They act as clearing houses according to the rules and will
register subdomains of anyone who wants them according to the rules.
EUUG or EUnet members get no preferential treatment whatsoever.
This is more than can be said of some academic networks having registered
the toplevel domains in other countries. Also EUnet has been very active
in many countries to achieve coordination of email delivery using
domain addresses.

>Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
>Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
>Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

:-) :-) :-( :-( :-(
Yes of course. Since every site connected to the Internet will set up an
NNTP feed from some site in the US. The news will get over here very chaeply
and with about 2 months delay because the links are so clogged.
:-( :-( :-( :-( :-(.

One of the two (soon three) transatlantic links providing the
abovementioned Internet connectivity is maintained and financed by EUnet
in cooperation with UUNET. It's paid out of sharing the cost for bringing
news into Europe and by organisations actually paying for mail.

This connectivity is not for free!  Yes, having a leased line will bring
down the cost *as long as everybody pays their share*.  If cheating starts
in a big way then the money will not be sufficent to keep (or upgrade) the line,
the connectivity will go away and everybody looses.
This is why there is agreement among the organisations providing
Internet access in the abovementioned countries that sites receiving
news via this infrastructure should pay their normal EUnet news
subscription and use the hierarchical distribution scheme that minimises
transmissions on expensive links.

Daniel
--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcvax!dfk

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (06/26/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun23144304@anableps.berkeley.edu>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> A couple of questions:
>
> Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
> EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains? Or, to be more
> succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
> its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

Only EUUG members may join EUnet.
EUnet was set up by, and is run for the benefit of EUUG members.

There are gateways into various domains.
I think it improbable that a site not passing via one of the official
gateways will be able to register in the (for example) .de domain.

Certainly, mail to/from any site passing vi EUnet will only pass if
that site is willing to pay for its transport costs.

(Can I ask France Telecom to set up a special transfered charge scheme,
so that all of my telephone call charges are transfered to YOUR account ?

PLEASE !!! )

> Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
> Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
> Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

Tell me how the telecoms system knows the difference between bits transfered
via UUCP and those transfered by NNTP ?

Philip