[comp.mail.misc] Listings of address styles?

cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) (06/27/89)

I've posted a question similar to this before, but have failed to find a
complete answer.  My ultimate goal is to reach someone who is on a subset
of Tymnet from the Internet.  Someone out there (sorry -- I can't remember
your name off the top of my head) was kind enough to find the internet
address of a machine at tymnet.  I've tried sending mail to the postmaster
there a couple of times, but have received no reply.

I've decided to try to find my own path to the machine.  But, first I
need to have a very good understanding of how different types of addresses
work -- their syntax, grammer, etc.  I'm very lucky in having a mailer
which will resolve the great majority of addresses that I give it, but
it just isn't God.

If anybody can direct me to some obscure (or obvious :-)) documentation
somewhere on the net (maybe ftp'able), or can give me an e-mail tutorial,
I would be most appreciative.  If I get enough response, or see enough
other people who have similar or identical questions, I will summarize
to the net.

Thanks
--
Thanks
Chris Cleeland, Tulane University

Disclaimer:  I haven't said anything worth not claiming!!!

rcsmith@anagld.UUCP (Ray Smith) (06/27/89)

In article <858@rex.cs.tulane.edu> cleeland@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Chris Cleeland) writes:

>If anybody can direct me to some obscure (or obvious :-)) documentation
>somewhere on the net (maybe ftp'able), or can give me an e-mail tutorial,
>I would be most appreciative.  If I get enough response, or see enough
>other people who have similar or identical questions, I will summarize
>to the net.

At USENIX two weeks ago I saw a new Nutshell Handbook written by
Donnalyn Frey and Rick Adams titled (I hope I get this right!):
"!%@:: A Guide to Electronic Mail Addressing and Networks"

It looked as though it would satisfy your needs as well as my own (I
ordered it as a matter of fact).

You can reach O'Reilly and Associates at 1-800-338-NUTS -it drives me nuts
				 when they do that ^^^^ :-)
        Ray Smith         | UUCP: {uunet,aplcen,netsys,sundc}!anagld!rcsmith
     Analytics, Inc.      | ARPA: RCSmith@DOCKMASTER.ARPA or
	Suite 200         |       anagld!rcsmith@uunet.uu.net
 9891 Broken Land Parkway |
    Columbia, MD 21046    | Voice: (301) 381-4300         Fax: (301) 381-5173

lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) (07/01/89)

I called Nutshell yesterday to order a copy of the book "!%@:: A Guide
to Electronic Mail Addressing and Networks" and they said that I would
not be able to order it until the end of the month.  The ads they sent
out made it look like a really nice book so I'm looking forward to being
able to get hold of it.  If Nutshell takes someone else's order, please
let me know so that I can get my copy!
--
Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
                                    Information Resources Mgt Division