    From: RELAY Mail System (MMDF) <uunet!RELAY.CS.NET!mmdf>
    Sender: uunet!RELAY.CS.NET!mmdf
    Subject:  Failed mail  (msg.aa09896)
    To: hcx1!HARDY!fcs

        Your message could not be delivered to
    '@ibm.com:CALDWELL@fshvmx.ibm.com (host: ibm.com) (queue: ibm-sj)'
    for the following reason:  ' Unknown Host 'fshvmx''

      (My message follows)

I have sent mail to the Postmaster@ibm.com, and while it has not bounced
there has been no reply. Neither myself nor the destination party is very
sophisticated in E-mail or the mysteries of the net. I suspect he is not
aware of some internal domain name that is needed from the outside.

If anyone has any experience in getting mail to IBM or knows who I might
contact to help me, I would *greatly* appreciate any assistance. Please
E-Mail as I don't usually read this group. I will summarize if there is
sufficient interest.

Thanx in advance,

Fred Sabernick
Harris Corp.
fcs@hardy.hdw.harris.com
305-973-5283
800-666-4544, ask for extension 5283

fcs@hardy.hdw.harris.com (Fred Sabernick) (07/10/89)

My thanks to everyone who responded. To summarize, an IBM employee does
have to have authorization to send or receive E-Mail outside of the
company.

The address I needed was CALDWELL@IBM.COM, not CALDWELL@FSHVMX.IBM.COM.
The address I was given (CALDWELL@FSHVMX) was an internal address. The
employee in question had just received authorization (for research purposes).

PS: The mail I sent to the Postmaster@IBM.COM was successful and the
    Postmaster responded back with the necessary assistance.

Fred Sabernick
fcs@hardy.hdw.harris.com