[comp.mail.misc] Re^2: sigh

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (07/13/89)

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>Ah'm just a simpul country lawyuh <snuffle>, but isn't the following true?
> * If I am site X, and site Y is a direct neighbor of mine whom I poll
>   daily or better (maybe better than anyone else if it's worse than daily),
>   but I see a piece of incoming mail of the form a!b!X!c!d!e!Y!f!g,
>   then it's reasonable for me to reroute it as a!b!X!Y!f!g.

Not necessarily.  Assuming I'm from site "a", I may have a perfectly legitimate
reason, which since you are not my direct neighbor, you probably wouldn't have
any way to know, for why I want the message to take that route.  If a!b!X!Y!f!g
is really the better path, than it's up to me to keep MY routing info current,
or to use a site that I trust to keep their info current as a rerouter.

If you argue that "Well, you have no way of knowing about my direct link to Y
because it's unpublished, therefore I'm doing you a favor", well do me a bigger
favor and publish the link.  Private links are common, but should be just that -
private.  If my mail were to fail on Y and I don't know how it got there, I will
be at a disadvantage on how to rectify the situation.

> * If my link to site Y is sick, then I ought to respect the longer path.

How will you know it's sick, and what current MTA has a "don't reroute if link
is sick" option?

> * If no site in the bang path is a direct neighbor of mine, then I ought
>   to consult pathalias for the link to the site named rightward of mine,
>   and leave the rest of it the hell alone.

That one sounds good.  In this case if I'm "a" you really are doing me a favor
since I've gone and generated a faulty path.  If this can be rerouted, then
great.  But if there is no problem with the path, it should be left alone.

> * In the first case mentioned above, if site Y does not know me by
>   name (i.e., the bang path is not reversible), then I ought to respect
>   the longer supplied path.  [I think this is where most mail bounces
>   these days, no?]

Just out of curiousity, why would you even bother with a one-way uucp link
used for mail purposes?  (I understand, and use, one-way anon uucp links for
file pick ups.)
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve C. Simmons) (07/14/89)

karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>clewis@eci386.uucp writes:
>>  It also appears obvious that anyone giving an explicit bang path
>>  (eg: a!b!c!d) may very well know what they're doing, and it shouldn't be
>>  touched.

>Not so.  A random sampling of 263 !-paths which passed through my
>system earlier this month (I picked a few wholly arbitrary "grep"
>criteria on /usr/spool/uucp/mail.log) revealed that the average !-path
>length is more than twice as long as the average length of a path in
>/usr/lib/uucp/paths.  The users do not know what they are doing.
>They're guessing, and badly so.

I think we're being a bit too hard on those users here.  There are
several contributing factors that (probably) make this an inappropriate
conclusion.

The first obvious culpret is replying to news.  Rn (Rnmail?) has generated
some really horrendous paths for me to mail 'next door'.  Like 20 or so
hops.  Since a lot of folks have MTAs that don't understand '@' addresses,
we're likely to see this sort of pathing until they all fix their
mailers.  Real Soon Now. :-(.

The second is the way a number of the MUAs work.  Elm, mush, mailx, etc,
can all wind up being configured such that they generate the return
path by reversal.  While this might be considered Evile (sic) and Rude,
if your MTA don't understand '@', it's the only choice.  So you wind
up generating these bizarre and convoluted paths *and the user never
sees them*.  They're depending on the MTA to figure out what is needed
to reply, *and they should*.
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.

news@amms4.UUCP (news administration) (07/14/89)

In article <626@tiamat.fsc.com> jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>Just out of curiousity, why would you even bother with a one-way uucp link
>used for mail purposes?  (I understand, and use, one-way anon uucp links for
>file pick ups.)

Well, as it happens, I have one-way uucp links into amms4.  We have no outgoing
phone line from amms4, but that is where news lives, and where most mail is
originated from.  The out-bound link is thru amms2, which is connected to amms4
via 2 dedicated links (uucp, one each way - I know, ethernet is better, but it
isn't an option here).

As a result of this, I occasionally send mail along the following path, just
to clear out the spooling directory:

	amms4!amms2!some_other_system!amms4!hjg

God help me if my mailer were to be smart enough to short-circuit that path.
(As to why this is even necessary: at least one of the sites that provides the
dual-link [amms2 & amms4] is unwilling to poll amms4 regularly, so if something
hangs around for more than a day, I have to prod it - ugh - I'm seriously
thinking of dropping said link(s) as being too much trouble - but that's a
different story :-).

--
		Harry Gross				 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg@amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg			 |  suggestions?

In article <2141@itivax.iti.org> scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve C. Simmons) writes:

>The first obvious culpret is replying to news.  Rn (Rnmail?) has generated
>some really horrendous paths for me to mail 'next door'.  Like 20 or so
>hops.  Since a lot of folks have MTAs that don't understand '@' addresses,
>we're likely to see this sort of pathing until they all fix their
>mailers.  Real Soon Now. :-(.

Did anyone think that people typed those 20-hop paths by hand?  Especially
people who don't know what they are doing?  Replies to news articles
and subsequent replies to those messages are almost certainly the source
of everything the rabid rerouters complain about.
So, why not fix it in the news software by making hosts that are capable
of re-routing rewrite the Path: line so that mail following the Path:
will be "dynamically" re-routed?  That way the dumber downstream sites
don't need to change anything (any they probably won't anyway).

>The second is the way a number of the MUAs work.  Elm, mush, mailx, etc,
>can all wind up being configured such that they generate the return
>path by reversal.  While this might be considered Evile (sic) and Rude,
>if your MTA don't understand '@', it's the only choice.  So you wind
>up generating these bizarre and convoluted paths *and the user never
>sees them*.  They're depending on the MTA to figure out what is needed
>to reply, *and they should*.

Reversing a good path should not give you a bizarre and convoluted path,
although it will only work if the connections appear the same from
both directions (generally true for uucp sites) or gateway sites rewrite
the path as necessary to make it reversable.

Les Mikesell