[comp.mail.misc] How can I mail to this address?

rick@servax0.essex.ac.uk (Rick Blake) (07/24/89)

I have been given a mail address from someone on the US West Coast which is:

PSI%3110415004528::SCMARS::STEW

My problem is - how do I, from the UK, send mail to this address? The numeric
bit seems to indicate an address in Telenet (though it might be Tymnet - I don't
have my crib sheet with me), and the double colons seem to imply some sort of
local DECnet. However, where do I find a gateway that's going to forward any messages
for me? After all, {Tele,Tym}net is not a charitable organisation, and presumably
charges would be incurred by any forwarder. I have no problem about paying them,
but the volume of traffic that we would wish to send over this link would be sufficiently
low that the administrative costs involved in the transatlantic collection of fees
would undoubtedly be an order of magnitude (at least) greater than the usage charge.

If anyone out there can advise me, I would be most grateful. I should also mention
that the requirement to send any mail is not pressing. Please mail me with any
suggestions, as there seems no point in cluttering up the newsgroup with this sort
of stuff.

Regards,
Rick Blake

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (07/26/89)

In article <1318@servax0.essex.ac.uk> rick@essex.ac.uk (Rick Blake) writes:
>I have been given a mail address from someone on the US West Coast which is:
>
>PSI%3110415004528::SCMARS::STEW
>
>My problem is - how do I, from the UK, send mail to this address?

Simple: From a VMS system with the PSI option. In the UK, such a system
would be cabled to PSS; PSS will automatically route the call through
the appropriate X.75 gateway to TELENET.

Wile it may be possible to bridge from SMTP to PSI on a VMS system with
both TCP/IP and PSI installed, such a hybrid would be fairly rare, and
you should not expect anybody to come forward and announce their
willingness to pay to do this for you.

But if your VMS system has PSI, the address will work as written.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!