[comp.mail.misc] How does one get to machines with a .UUCP suffix?

merchant@cbnews.ATT.COM (shahrukh.s.merchant) (07/25/89)

I frequently see postings with a "From:" or "Reply-To:" field that
looks like
                        name@system.UUCP
If I try to reply to this address, my suspicion that this address is
insufficient or incomplete (and probably non-unique) is almost always
confirmed.  At least, it is not recognized by my gateway (att.att.com).
     My question is:  Are machines that identify themselves as
system.UUCP in fact officially registered somewhere so that I can
get to them reliably?  If so, is there a gateway that is especially
reliable at routing to systems with a .UUCP suffix?
     Please reply by e-mail.  I'll post the results if there are requests
to do so.
                                     Shahrukh Merchant
                                     merchant@mvuxn.att.com
                                     merchant%mvuxn@att.arpa
                                     ...!allegra!mvuxn!merchant

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (07/29/89)

In article <8562@cbnews.ATT.COM>, merchant@cbnews.ATT.COM (shahrukh.s.merchant) writes:
> I frequently see postings with a "From:" or "Reply-To:" field that
> looks like
>                         name@system.UUCP
> If I try to reply to this address, my suspicion that this address is
> insufficient or incomplete (and probably non-unique) is almost always
> confirmed.  At least, it is not recognized by my gateway (att.att.com).
>      My question is:  Are machines that identify themselves as
> system.UUCP in fact officially registered somewhere so that I can

If you are asking if there is a registered domain named .UUCP, the
answer is no. This is what is known as a pseudo domain and is reach-
able by certain smart mailers, smail for one.

However, the machine may be on the usenet map for the state in which
it is located and is "registered with the net gods at rutgers".
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP