[comp.mail.misc] "you have mail"

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (08/04/89)

Every once in awhile myself or one of the other analysts will be
in some software package (usually informix), and upon exiting we
will get a message that says "you have mail".  When we then fire
up our mail package, it says "No mail.".

In looking through our /usr/mail que there are no files, even of
0 length, for that person.

We are running Unix 5.2 on a Zilog Model 130.  For mail we are
using mail, mailx and elm.  The Informix version is 3.30.12.

Questions:  Is this caused by informix or the OS?  After that,
how do we stop this?

Larry Taborek,
Doris Scottow
--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/05/89)

In article <4881@macom1.UUCP> larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) writes:
>... we will get a message that says "you have mail".  When we then fire
>up our mail package, it says "No mail.".
>Questions:  Is this caused by informix or the OS?  After that,
>how do we stop this?

Usually it's printed by the shell.  The shell manual entry should explain
exactly how it works, and whether MAILPATH is supported, etc.

Some shells fail to note that a 0-length mailbox that has been recently
modified is not "new mail", but rather "what is left after reading old
mail".  That's probably what's causing the misleading report.