[comp.mail.misc] Query for the Most Simple MUA

lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) (07/13/89)

We're looking for a very simple and easy to use MUA, so simple most of
you won't consider using it. One of the objectives is to reduce stress by
having the MUA never do anything the user doesn't understand or
expect. Another principle I'd impose is that it is better for the user
to type some command a bunch of times and have it respond very fast
than to type some regular expression or fill in some selection panel.
Hopefully it will include some simple editor to compose mail, but
maybe I can dig up some thing to do that elsewhere.

Non-UNIX platforms are OK, but it's got to work with the Internet and
Bitnet.

Why don't you respond to me directly and I'll summerize the responses.

Many thanks,

Laurence Lundblade                          206-543-5617
   lgl@cac.washington.edu
      Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington, Seattle WA

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (07/13/89)

/bin/mail.

Bill Wisner		wisner@mica.berkeley.edu	     ucbvax!mica!wisner
I think, therefore I am not the NRA either.

lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) (07/14/89)

Hmmm, I think I wasn't so clear in my original posting. I'm looking
for something a lot more Mac like. Elm is too complicated, and
/bin/mail is too limited. I've seen this custom thing on MVS that's
almost what I'm looking for, except it runs on MVS. There's a list of
what the function keys do on every screen, and those function keys are
they only commands that do anything. This gives a feeling that you can
understand all the program does by fiddling with it for 5 minutes, and
that there's not some set of mysterious features that make you feel
you're not in command of the program and don't really understand it.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists, especially on UNIX, but I
thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for your responses. Oh yes, I'm happy
to pay for it too if any one knows of any commercial products

argv%eureka@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (07/14/89)

In article lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) writes:
> Hmmm, I think I wasn't so clear in my original posting. I'm looking
> for something a lot more Mac like. Elm is too complicated, and
> /bin/mail is too limited.

Well, if you like /bin/mail, but feel it's too limited, then may I
suggest (yet again) mush.  Note that mush is backwards compatible
with mail and Mail type systems.  You can configure it (or your
environment) to make it as simple and ugly as Mail, or you can have
it be as sickeningly user friendly that you will just scream.  It has
a curses interface that is similarly configurable and it has a suntools
mode which isn't mac-like, but it is a window/icon-based application
that runs on suns..

it's also free.  If you are running unix, it'll run.

dan <island!argv@sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.

In article <30034@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> /bin/mail.

Wimp. Real men use:

	vi /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

It's also acceptable to use emacs or teco, or maybe crisp. Under no
circumstances use one of those wimpy word-processors.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | Th-th-th-that's all folks...
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  -- Mel Blanc
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |     May 30 1908 - Jul 10 1989

generous@dgis.daitc.mil (Curtis Generous) (07/15/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <30034@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>> /bin/mail.
>Wimp. Real men use:
>	vi /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

Go eat some quiche.  Real men type:

	cat /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

:-)
--curtis
---
Curtis C. Generous
DTIC Special Projects Office (DTIC-SPO)
ARPA: generous@daitc.mil
UUCP: {uunet,vrdxhq,lll-tis}!daitc!generous

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (07/15/89)

In article <2799@blake.acs.washington.edu> lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) writes:
>Elm is too complicated,

Huh? there are lots of critcisms I could level at elm but being too complicated
wouldn't be one of them. In novice mode elm is dead simple (trust me I have
some lusers who are dead simple too and they LOVE it). With a little work on
the screen layout (the menu at the bottom is a little cramped, even in novice
mode) elm could be a fine program.

--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

argv%eureka@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (07/15/89)

In article generous@dgis.daitc.mil (Curtis Generous) writes:
> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>
> >In article wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >> /bin/mail.
> >Wimp. Real men use:
> >	vi /usr/mail/$LOGNAME
> Go eat some quiche.  Real men type:
> 	cat /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

There's always
    dd if=/usr/mail/$LOGNAME

dan <island!argv@sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (07/17/89)

}
}>In article <30034@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
}>> /bin/mail.
}>Wimp. Real men use:
}>	vi /usr/mail/$LOGNAME
}
}Go eat some quiche.  Real men type:
}
}	cat /usr/mail/$LOGNAME
}
}:-)

Nope, we use:

	adb /dev/rroot

and just cruise around looking at whatever we like ;-}

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

In article <30034@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> /bin/mail.

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Wimp. Real men use: vi /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

In article <598@daitc.daitc.mil>, generous@dgis.daitc.mil (Curtis Generous) writes:
> Go eat some quiche.  Real men type: cat /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

Nah. Real men are probably busy doing some kernel debugging, so they've booted
off a floppy to read their mail. Since they left 'cat' off to save space, they
do 'mount /dev/dsk/c0d0s3 /mnt; sh </mnt/mail/root' and interpret the error
messages. (Real men always run in single use mode and kick off uucp jobs by
hand... crontab is for people with lousy memories and file protection is for
undisciplined wimps)

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (07/18/89)

In article <5008@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <30034@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>> /bin/mail.
>
>Wimp. Real men use:
>
>	vi /usr/mail/$LOGNAME

Sorry Peter, real men use:

	cat /usr/spool/mail/$USER

then when finished:

	> /usr/spool/mail/$USER

:-) :-) :-)

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (07/18/89)

In article <833@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
>Sorry Peter, real men use:

>	cat /usr/spool/mail/$USER

>then when finished:

>	> /usr/spool/mail/$USER

Gee, I always used ":>! /usr/spool/mail/$USER"

Yes, it really is a command for csh.  (csh is a different story altogether :-)
If you don't know what it does, send email.

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		   Utek Sustaining Engineering, Tektronix Inc.
jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (or) uunet!tektronix!quark.wv!jeff

In article <183@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> 	adb /dev/rroot

Wouldn't mail be in /dev/rusr?
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "A char, a short int, and
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  an int bit-field were walking
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  through the forest..."

alfie@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Nick Holloway) (07/19/89)

In article <3924@orca.WV.TEK.COM> jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) writes:
> In article <833@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
> >Sorry Peter, real men use:
................^^^^^^^^
> >	cat /usr/spool/mail/$USER
> >then when finished:
> >	> /usr/spool/mail/$USER
> Gee, I always used ":>! /usr/spool/mail/$USER"
......................^^^^^

Jeff, I'm afraid that by using csh, you don't count as a `real man' as
above, but have placed yourself firmly in the role of `quiche eater'. :-) :-)

Pity the command didn't start with ":-)", rather than ":>!"

	Alfie

PS: I am ashamed of even knowing what Jeff meant - I don't use csh.
--
JANET       : alfie@uk.ac.warwick.cs               |  `O O'  | Nick Holloway
BITNET/EARN : alfie%uk.ac.warwick.cs@ukacrl        | // ^ \\ | Comp Sci Dept

erik@mpx2.mpx.com (Erik Murrey) (08/15/89)

Real men read *news* with vi.  Just don't forget to undo your changes,
or downstream sites won't be too happy..

... Erik

--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/