[comp.mail.misc] Hellas

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) (09/24/89)

I would like to know if there is a mail ability to Hellas (Greece).  I
have a friend at Athens university that I would like fast communication
between.  He has a bitnet address on a machine called grathun1.

We understand there is a network in Greece called HELLASPAC or HELLPAC
or something like that which is connected to EARNET whatever that is.  We
also understand that grathun1 may also be a node on HELLASPAC/HELLPAC.
Therefore we believe there may be a way to send mail/file to and from
each other.  Possibly even live communication :)

Any help from Europe would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Thorson
Dept. of Atmospheric Science
Colorado State University
Ft. Collins CO

agkc@otter.hpl.hp.com (Andy Clark) (09/25/89)

/ otter:comp.mail.misc / thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) /  7:32 am  Sep 24, 1989 /
I would like to know if there is a mail ability to Hellas (Greece).  I
have a friend at Athens university that I would like fast communication
between.  He has a bitnet address on a machine called grathun1.

We understand there is a network in Greece called HELLASPAC or HELLPAC
or something like that which is connected to EARNET whatever that is.  We
also understand that grathun1 may also be a node on HELLASPAC/HELLPAC.
Therefore we believe there may be a way to send mail/file to and from
each other.  Possibly even live communication :)

Any help from Europe would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Thorson
Dept. of Atmospheric Science
Colorado State University
Ft. Collins CO
----------

	EARN is the European name for BITNET , I have found a
	reference to a system  grathun1.bitnet , looks like
	this would be worth a try

Good Luck
Andy Clark
HPLabs Bristol (uk)

diomidis@ecrcvax.UUCP (Diomidis Spinellis) (09/25/89)

In article <2699@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) writes:
>I would like to know if there is a mail ability to Hellas (Greece).  I
>have a friend at Athens university that I would like fast communication
>between.  He has a bitnet address on a machine called grathun1.

You can mail to him as username@grathun1.bitnet.  Your mailer should
forward it to a BITNET gateway.  If that doesn't work you can route it
manualy using something like @cunyvm.cuny.edu:username@grathun1.bitnet.

>We understand there is a network in Greece called HELLASPAC or HELLPAC.
>or something like that which is connected to EARNET whatever that is.  We
>also understand that grathun1 may also be a node on HELLASPAC/HELLPAC.

HELLPAC and HELLASPAC have been used at different times as names for
the Greek packet switch network (PSN).  The network is analogous to
TYMNET or TELENET and can be reached from them.  The first
implementation of it (called HELLPAC) used a switch somewhere in France
(I think) and offered a limited number of connections.  A more complete
setup is under way, its name is HELLASPAC.

EARN is the European equivalent of BITNET and is connected to it.
Grathun1 is an EARN node and is not connected via HELLASPAC.  The
connection is via leased lines to Crete and then to Rome.

>Any help from Europe would be greatly appreciated.
Hope this helps.
--
Diomidis Spinellis          European Computer-Industry Research Centre (ECRC)
Arabellastrasse 17, D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany        +49 (89) 92699199