[comp.mail.misc] Establishing a public-access USEnet site in New Zealand

paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (09/18/89)

Hi from New Zealand!

I'm in the planning stages for setting up a public-access USEnet site,
combined with a BBS.  I'd be interested to hear from other sysops who
do this around the world as to what issues they have had to deal with,
e.g. charging, security, selection of software, e-mail charge-back,
file requesting, archive management, CD-ROM, WORM drivers, etc.

Please e-mail to me -- paul@csnz.co.nz -- and I'll summarise.

My outline planning is as follows:  I will be purchasing a 386 (20 MHz)
with 8 Mb of RAM.  The O/S will be either SCO Xenix or Interactive UNIX.
Peripherals will include a Stallion multi-port card, 320 Mb SCSI drive
(Maxtor?), 160 Mb tape drive, and at least one Trailblazer T2500.

Also in the pipe-line will be a Rabbit X.25 card, FAX card, WORM drive
(for source archiving), and CD-ROM for PC-Sig stuff.  Obviously one
of the big issues will be drivers for this stuff.  I also plan to
hook up a PC with UFGate to act as a Fidonet gateway to USEnet for
New Zealand, and maybe D'Bridge to drive the FAX card.

I would welcome comments from anyone who has an opinion on this plan,
especially recommendations or otherwise on specific hardwarde.  I'm choosing
a 386 *only* because I can get the most bang-per-buck -- I know it's not
a *real* UNIX system, but price is _definitely_ an issue.

In parallel with all this, as well as importing most standard USEnet
groups (for which I will be paying the local University a fat fee),
I plan to import some alt. hierarchies, and more importantly plan
to hook up to the international PeaceNet/EcoNet/Web/GreenNet/Pegasus
network for conservation, peace and human-rights messaging.

Comments welcomed.

echo "thanks" >/dev/future

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul@csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul

dave@rylos.UUCP (David Mutterer) (09/19/89)

In article <115@csnz.co.nz>, paul@csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> Hi from New Zealand!
>
> I'm in the planning stages for setting up a public-access USEnet site,
> 	.
>	.
> 	[etc...]
> 	.
> 	.
> especially recommendations or otherwise on specific hardwarde.  I'm choosing
> a 386 *only* because I can get the most bang-per-buck -- I know it's not
> a *real* UNIX system, but price is _definitely_ an issue.

* * * [FLAME ON] * * *

What do you mean a 386 is not a "real" unix system.  Try to tell SUN and all
their users that a 386/i is a "fake" unix system.

* * * [FLAME OFF] * * *

+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| "I never met a computer I didn't like."       | - David Mutterer (N2IDF) |
|      "except if it's made by IBM"             | {rutgers!}rylos!dave     |
+-----------------------------------------------+--------------------------+

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/25/89)

> My outline planning is as follows:  I will be purchasing a 386 (20 MHz)
> with 8 Mb of RAM.  The O/S will be either SCO Xenix or Interactive UNIX.
> Peripherals will include a Stallion multi-port card, 320 Mb SCSI drive
>
> Comments welcomed.

Don't get 386/ix and stick with SCO.  I made the mistake of selecting
386/ix for my site - and had nothing but problems and the manuals are
the pits.  Xenix is solid - with most of the bugs worked out.  The
manuals are written with detailed instructions on how to get and keep
the system running in a logical way - where as the 386/ix manuals are
at best a hodge-podge and lots of little "gotchas" are included as a
bonus.

Xenix is solid - 386/ix is right on the edge of a fence ready to
fall over at any time.

--
Larry Snyder
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry

vortex@charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) (09/26/89)

	I run a small public access Xenix site in Australia, I too
	am interested in a public access USEnet/ACSnet site. The
	only problems I ahve encountered so far are 1) The software
	needed to do the job is priced out of my market and 2) I cant
	find anyone close by that could dialin to my system and help
	me set it up.

	If anyone in Austarlia is interested in setting up a type
	of public UUCP network and a connection to either USEnet
	or ACSnet I'd be interested to hear from you.

	The comments mentioned in this article are my private
	comments and are not associated with the site from
	which this message originates.

	Regards, Mark Gregson