[comp.mail.misc] Smail 3.0 ???

mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) (09/22/89)

Hi,
	Is Smail3.x available from anywhere?

	Also does it cope with

		fred: "|/usr/lbin/doit"

	type of thing in /usr/lib/aliases ?

	I would appreciate any/all help with this (by e-mail please)

	Thanks

	--Mike

--
|Michael A. Green.              |JANET:  mike@uk.ac.keele.cs                |
|Department of Computer Science |BITNET: mike%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl            |

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (09/23/89)

In article <763@kl-cs.UUCP> mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) writes:
|Hi,
|	Is Smail3.x available from anywhere?
|
|	Also does it cope with
|
|		fred: "|/usr/lbin/doit"
|
|	type of thing in /usr/lib/aliases ?

	There is a simple patch available for smail 2.5
	which implements this ability.

Cheers,
--
   __ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \../	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/27/89)

In article <897@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>In article <763@kl-cs.UUCP> mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) writes:
>|	Also does it cope with

>|		fred: "|/usr/lbin/doit"

>|	type of thing in /usr/lib/aliases ?

>	There is a simple patch available for smail 2.5
>	which implements this ability.

	There is also the "lmail" program and the "deliver" programs posted
sometime ago which give you much the same capablility without some of the
inherent security risks that come with the patch.

	If I recall correctely the biggest danger with the simple patch to
smail was that there was no protection from someone mailing something to
an address like "|burn" from outside your system.  Now maybe you want something
like this.  If you do, let me know what your site name is.  I'll test it out
for you :-) :-).

	Note: Just because I never saw it, doesn't mean that problem wasn't
fixed.  If it was, my appologies.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!