[comp.mail.misc] Usenet via Datex-P ????

flash@lopez.UUCP (Gary Bourgois) (09/24/89)

I have a friend who works at NDR in Hamburg, and with whom I would like to
exchange information on a personal basis.  I run a USENET site here in
Northern Michigan, and we tried his calling here, but alas the error rate
afforded by satellite interconnect was such that NO COMMUNICATION WAS
POSSIBLE.

Through DATEX-P, the German packet switching network, he can reach MANY USA
networks, like TYMNET and TELENET (others as well).

What I am wondering is, through these domestic networks, is there a way for
him to reach a public acess UNIX system to enable him to write to me?  If
so, what system(s).  I imagine this to be possible, but do not know how to
go about finding out how, except to post here.

If you can help, Please email flash@lopez.UUCP
| Gary Bourgois, ...rutgers!sharkey!lopez!flash  (flash@lopez.UUCP) |
|     Nationwide Amateur Radio NIGHTLY after 0200z on 3950 KHz      |
 -------------[ WB8EOH = The Eccentric Old Hippie ]-----------------

root@leuze.UUCP (Operator) (09/26/89)

flash@lopez.UUCP (Gary Bourgois) writes:

>I have a friend who works at NDR in Hamburg, and with whom I would like to
>exchange information on a personal basis.  I run a USENET site here in
>Northern Michigan, and we tried his calling here, but alas the error rate
>afforded by satellite interconnect was such that NO COMMUNICATION WAS
>POSSIBLE.

>Through DATEX-P, the German packet switching network, he can reach MANY USA
>networks, like TYMNET and TELENET (others as well).

>What I am wondering is, through these domestic networks, is there a way for
>him to reach a public acess UNIX system to enable him to write to me?  If
>so, what system(s).  I imagine this to be possible, but do not know how to
>go about finding out how, except to post here.

>If you can help, Please email flash@lopez.UUCP
>--
>| Gary Bourgois, ...rutgers!sharkey!lopez!flash  (flash@lopez.UUCP) |
>|     Nationwide Amateur Radio NIGHTLY after 0200z on 3950 KHz      |
> -------------[ WB8EOH = The Eccentric Old Hippie ]-----------------

He could try with Cosmonet at Hannover, DxP 45511090835 login with 'gast'
He may apply for an account there for a reasonable price
Greetings, Fritz

 (-:   snail-mail:                                                          :-)
 (-:   Fritz B. Raab                     email: fbraab@leuze.UUCP           :-)
 (-:   Leuze electronic, Abt. TDV               ..uunet!unido!leuze!fbraab  :-)
 (-:   In der Braike 1                   soon:  fbraab@leuze-owen.de        :-)
 (-:   D7311 Owen / Teck                 voice: +49 7021 573185 fax: 573200 :-)
 (-:   West - Germany                    ampr-net: df2rf@db0sao             :-)
 ==============   Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi!   ==========================

root@infoac.rmi.de (Operator) (09/28/89)

>flash@lopez.UUCP (Gary Bourgois) writes:

>>I have a friend who works at NDR in Hamburg, ...

>>Through DATEX-P, the German packet switching network, he can reach MANY USA
>>networks, like TYMNET and TELENET (others as well).

>>What I am wondering is, through these domestic networks, is there a way for
>>him to reach a public acess UNIX system to enable him to write to me?  If
>>so, what system(s).  I imagine this to be possible, but do not know how to
>>go about finding out how, except to post here.

>>If you can help, Please email flash@lopez.UUCP
>>--
>>| Gary Bourgois, ...rutgers!sharkey!lopez!flash  (flash@lopez.UUCP) |
>>|     Nationwide Amateur Radio NIGHTLY after 0200z on 3950 KHz      |
>> -------------[ WB8EOH = The Eccentric Old Hippie ]-----------------

He could try his local Mailbox by telephone in Hamburg

infohh.rmi.de
c/o Percomp
Holzmuehlenstr. 88
2000 Hamburg 70