[comp.mail.misc] Sending mail over uucp

saroff@jvncf.UUCP (Steve Saroff lac00001) (09/27/89)

I am not entirely clear on just how mail UUCP stuff works.  I'm on an
internet site, but the true aracana of the UUCP, internet and the
various connections is obscure to me.  Does any one have any suggestions
as to where to start to learn this stuff?

--
			SzS
Dr. S.Z. Saroff

                o o
                (_)____o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  oo oo          The Bear who Swims

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (09/30/89)

In article <670@jvncf.UUCP> saroff@jvncf.csc.org (Stephen Saroff lac00001) writes:
>I am not entirely clear on just how mail UUCP stuff works.  I'm on an
>internet site, but the true aracana of the UUCP, internet and the
>various connections is obscure to me.  Does any one have any suggestions
>as to where to start to learn this stuff?

   There is, to date, but one _authoritative_ source of information re:
   interconnections of ALL computer networks - see position 1 in the
   enclosed personally assembled reading list below.  No doubt are there
   more well-written, interesting works on the subject - feel free to come
   up with further recommendations

John S. Quarterman and Josiah C. Hoskins
   Notable Computer Networks, 932-971, in Communications of the ACM,
   October 1986 (Volume 27, Number 10,) a general overview of what
   computer networks there are, what they are and how they inter-
   connect; includes also a list of 92 references (that's 1986!)

Emerson, Sandra L.
   Usenet, A Bulletin Board For Unix Users, 219-236, in BYTE Magazine,
   October 1983 (first popular description of the then-new Usenet service,
   uucp-specific)

Ben Smith
   The UNIX Connection, 245-253, in BYTE Magazine, May 1989, a very
   well written description of the underlaying principles of uucp
   communication, -mail, USENET and NetNews origins.  A good item
   to start with, along with the previous piece.

Nassar, Hamed
   Computer networks serving university needs, article originally
   published for internal NJIT use, may be requested directly from
   the author at "NJIT::HXN8477" <hxn8477%njitx.decnet@njitc.njit.edu>
   (a 4-page comprehensive overview of what networks & how they function;
   a shorter "version" of Quarterman & Hoskins' article above

Rheingold, Howard
   The New Old Boys from the ARPAnet, 205-231, in "Tools for Thought,
   the people and ideas behind the next computer revolution",
   Simon & Schuster, New York, 1987 (describes origins of networks
   in ARPA-funded research projects)

Thomas, Eric
   The Creation of Listserv, originally posted to EARNTECH @SESTAK, may
   no doubt be requested from the author <eric@lepics.bitnet>.
   (Entertaining technical trivia (#lines of code...) about the subject)

--
----
------ ianf@nada.kth.se/ @sekth.bitnet/ uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf