[comp.mail.misc] mail via Compuserve

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (09/26/89)

How can I send mail (or a mail/fax) via uucp-compuserve to Europe?

I have the sites number and it was suggested to use xxxxx.zzz@compuserve.com
This doesn't seem to fly.

Can someone help me out?
I have a direct connection to uunet and I believe uunet talks to compuserve.
But who pays the bill for the compuserve sending? Must I be a subscriber?

I also have access to attmail, genie and mci-mail.
Thanks
Fred Rump
fred@cdin-1

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

sam@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Sam Neely) (10/03/89)

In article <427@icdi10.UUCP> fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
>How can I send mail (or a mail/fax) via uucp-compuserve to Europe?

The Internet/CompuServe gateway will move mail to {Easy|Info}Plex only.
It will reject messages destined for Telex, Fax, and MCI Mail.

>I have the sites number and it was suggested to use xxxxx.zzz@compuserve.com
>This doesn't seem to fly.
>
>Can someone help me out?

You've got the correct syntax if your mail program understands domain-
style addresses.  If it only understands !-addresses, try either
compuserve!xxxxx.yyy or osu-cis!compuserve!xxxxx.yyy.

Can you be a little more specific?  Is your message being returned?
Is there an error message tacked on to it?

>I have a direct connection to uunet and I believe uunet talks to compuserve.

There are no direct links between CompuServe and UUNET exist for mail
transport, however, mail sent via UUNET will eventually make it to
CompuServe via osu-cis.

>But who pays the bill for the compuserve sending? Must I be a subscriber?

No charge to send/receive mail with CompuServe.  CompuServe subscribers
pay normal connect rates to read the mail, however.

You do not need to be a subscriber to exchange mail with other CompuServe
subscribers.

>I also have access to attmail, genie and mci-mail.
>Thanks
>Fred Rump
>fred@cdin-1
>
>--
>This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
>26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
>Beverly, NJ 08010       domain:  fred@cdin-1.uu.net or icdi10!fr@cdin-1.uu.net
>609-386-6846          "Freude... Alle Menschen werden Brueder..."  -  Schiller

	- Sam
----
Sam Neely, CompuServe Incorporated		  POSTMASTER@COMPUSERVE.COM
5000 Arlington Centre Blvd, Columbus, OH  43220	  +1 614 457 8600