[comp.mail.misc] providing email service to Macs and PCs

jkimball@SRC.Honeywell.COM (John Kimball) (10/04/89)

Here's another of those "I wasn't interested the last time this discussion
went by, but now I am".

Our Macintosh and PC users (misguided souls! :-)) are becoming more and more
interested in using Internet/UUCP mail.  So far, we've accomodated them by
finding them logins on Suns or Vaxen.  But it's getting to the point where
it would be nice to set up some kind of server (preferably on a Sun) which
would allow them to compose, send, and read mail from their Macs or PCs.
(This would eliminate the need to show them how to use a Unix or VMS editor,
how to upload/download files, etc.)

What options are out there, for providing email service to Macs and PCs?
What are the pros and cons of the various options?   What's freely
redistributable?

(I recall hearing about the Post Office Protocol, but I recall nothing beyond
the name, and the fact that there's an RFC.  I believe our Mac people have
POP client software.)

Thanks muchly in advance, and I'll summarize to the net if there's any
interest.
						John Kimball

Inet: jkimball@src.honeywell.com          Honeywell Systems and Research Center
      postmaster@src.honeywell.com, etc   Computer Sciences/Software Technology
uucp: <any-smart-host>!srcsip!jkimball    3660 Technology Drive, MN65-2100
phone: 612-782-7343  fax: 612-782-7438    Minneapolis, MN  55418-1006

ralph@ralmar.UUCP (Ralph Barker) (10/06/89)

In article <33616@srcsip.UUCP>, jkimball@SRC.Honeywell.COM (John Kimball) writes:
> Here's another of those "I wasn't interested the last time this discussion
> went by, but now I am".
>
> Our Macintosh and PC users (misguided souls! :-)) are becoming more and more
> interested in using Internet/UUCP mail.

I don't remember all of the product names, or particulars, but you
might want to check into the AT&T products in the PMX/Term family.
They have both MAC and PC versions of e-mail products that are reasonably
friendly, and TOTALLY compatible with regular UNIX mail.  Various
portions work thru servers, connect to ATTMAIL, etc., which also
provides mail exchange with other hosts (HP, DEC, etc.), X.400 service,
etc.

This may not fit your needs, but from what I saw, it provided a nicely
integrated system that didn't trounce on UNIX mail.

--
Ralph Barker, RALMAR Business Systems, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{pyramid, sun, uunet}!amdahl!unixprt!ralmar!ralph

agnew@trwrc.RC.TRW.COM (Robert A. Agnew) (10/10/89)

In article <33616@srcsip.UUCP>, jkimball@SRC.Honeywell.COM (John Kimball) writes:
> Our Macintosh and PC users (misguided souls! :-)) are becoming more and more
> interested in using Internet/UUCP mail.

There are all sorts of such products. A few come to mind:

	Microsoft Mail		Microsoft Inc.
	CC:Mail			CC:Mail Inc. 		415-321-0430
	Alisa MailMate		Alisa Systems Inc.	818-792-9474
	LifeLine 		Sun Micro (PCNFS)

Most of these products have third party SMTP gateways. For instance, the
Quicmail product which runs on both Macs and PC's, can be interfaced with a
third party gateway package from Star-Nine. However this license is $100 per
Mac or PC mail recipient! I prefer the Que package which is public domain
and may be downloaded from sumex-aim.stanford.edu via ftp or via mailer
daemon (que-request) at goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu.  This software implements
a maildrop for quickmail and uses unix aliases for each user to send mail
to a program mailer. I can provide simple mods to sendmail.cf and named.hosts
to cause all mail to user@applenet.domain to go to the maildrop. They are
planning network connection in future, now all pickups and deliveries are by
modem. I am working on version to mount spool disk via Tops on the sun.
The star-nine version, though expensive, can support a named server running
on a mac via an Ethernet card and Mac/TCP. My understanding is that macs
could be run with dynamic internet addresses and the named server would publish
the user's registered address.