usenet@egsner.cirr.com (Eric Schnoebelen) (10/05/89)

Hello All!

	Before I go digging into the code myself, and
reinventing the wheel, does anyone know of, or have done, a set
of patches for smail 2.5, to make it understand the %-@

	If anyone has such patches, please send a message.
Otherwise, I'll dig in and make the patches myself, and I'll
post them here..

	Thanks,
		Eric

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/06/89)

All you really want to do is have smail change % to @ if there is no ! or
@ present (ie, it looks like a local address).

Just put this at the beginning and the end of resolve().

	if (strchr(address,'!') == NULL
	    && strchr(address,'@') == NULL
	    && (ptr = strrchr(address,'%'))) *ptr = '@';

--
Branch Technology            |  zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

agnew@trwrc.RC.TRW.COM (Robert A. Agnew) (10/10/89)

In article <9672@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

>All you really want to do is have smail change % to @ if there is no ! or
>@ present (ie, it looks like a local address).

Are you sure? According to RFC-822, % has a higher precedence than @. Don't
we have to scan context in order to determine the routing?

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (10/10/89)

RFC 822 does not mention %.  See RFC 1123 for a discussion of the
'% hack'.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (10/11/89)

In article <Oct.9.13.58.43.1989.23064@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
> RFC 822 does not mention %.  See RFC 1123 for a discussion of the
> '% hack'.

Awww, come on... don't leave 'em hanging.  You should at least summarize..
% has lower precedence than @, but is evaluated left to right like @.
It's precedence is equal to !.

the following are "similar" addresses:

    user%addr1@addr2
    addr1!user@addr2
    addr2!addr1!user

In all cases, the mail goes thru addr2 first, then to addr1, then to the user.

dan <island!argv@sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/11/89)

>Are you sure? According to RFC-822, % has a higher precedence than @. Don't
>we have to scan context in order to determine the routing?

No rfc (822 included) says that % has higher precedence that @.  It
doesn't.

--

jwc@unify.UUCP (J. William Claypool) (10/12/89)

In article <126099@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv@sun.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
>Awww, come on... don't leave 'em hanging.  You should at least summarize..
>% has lower precedence than @, but is evaluated left to right like @.
>It's precedence is equal to !.
                    ^^^^^
Seems to me that % should have LOWER precedence than !.

>the following are "similar" addresses:
>
>    user%addr1@addr2
>    addr1!user@addr2
>    addr2!addr1!user

How about:
    addr2!user%addr1
shouldn't this be routed the same?

>In all cases, the mail goes thru addr2 first, then to addr1, then to the user.
--

Bill Claypool    W. (916) 920-9092 |I know what I know if you know what I mean
jwc@unify.UUCP   H. (916) 381-4205 |------------------------------------------

toddp@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Todd_Poynor) (10/12/89)

>% has lower precedence than @, but is evaluated left to right like @.
>It's precedence is equal to !.

Not quite -- "%" is evaluated right-to-left, as per the example.  There
should only be one "@" in the address, since source routing using
route-address syntax is discouraged (and doesn't work on most implementations
anyway).  And the % precedence is recommended to be lower than any other
operator, including "!".

All this from section 5.2.16 on page 57.

^todd       "You want a standard?  Here's several, you can take your pick."

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (10/12/89)

From article <126099@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller):

> the following are "similar" addresses:
>
>     user%addr1@addr2
>     addr1!user@addr2
>     addr2!addr1!user
>
> In all cases, the mail goes thru addr2 first, then to addr1, then to the user.

This is not necessarily true in the case of the second one. Another BT site
I used to work on ran bog-standard V7 mail - and as such would not understand
@ signs. the syntax "addr1!user@addr2" would send the string "user@addr2" to
machine "addr1" over a uucp link. This is still the only way we have of getting
mail out of the system - routing via !'s to a machine that can translate the
@ signs for us. This is not the first time I have seen this either.

-Pete.

PS: If anyone can tell me where to get a copy of a mailer that will translate
    the @ signs properly then let me know would you....

--
       -Pete French.               | "Love is the corpse,
  British Telecom Research Labs.   |  That crawls on dreams,