[comp.mail.misc] Bitnet gateways?

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/04/89)

I've a friend who is trying to send mail to a Bitnet user; unfortunately, the
gateway I normally use (CUNYVM) isn't accepting his messages.  Can someone
please mail me a list of other UUCP/Internet gateways to Bitnet and the
address styles they will accept?

Thanks in advance,
++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (10/05/89)

From article <1989Oct3.234604.10248@NCoast.ORG>, by allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery):
> I've a friend who is trying to send mail to a Bitnet user; unfortunately, the
> gateway I normally use (CUNYVM) isn't accepting his messages.  Can someone
> please mail me a list of other UUCP/Internet gateways to Bitnet and the
> address styles they will accept?

It was my understanding that one should send to site.bitnet@INTERBIT and
someone somewhere would understand what INTERBIT was, which at that time was
CYNYVM
--
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT
Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133, USnail: CSD, P.O. Box 413, Milwaukee, WI  53201

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/05/89)

Thanks for the responses, all; the best response I got was that uunet knows
how to route to Bitnet, since it's more likely (IMHO) to remain stable (and if
it doesn't, I assure you I'll be feeling it in more urgent areas than this!).

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu
bsa@telotech.uucp, 161-7070 BALLBERY (MCI), ALLBERY (Delphi), B.ALLBERY (GEnie)
Is that enough addresses for you?   no?   then: allbery@uunet.UU.NET (c.s.misc)

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (10/05/89)

I remind the world once again that random use of uunet to route third-party
mail is frowned upon.

Internet-to-BITNET gateways, among others: cunyvm.cuny.edu, mitvma.mit.edu,
jade.berkeley.edu. All take the same general address form,
user%site.bitnet@gateway. For example,
listserv%bitnic.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu.

ndonald@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Nick Donaldson) (10/05/89)

There are actually several "interbit" type sites on Bitnet. For example,
in Canada, ours is at utorugw.bitnet. CUNYVM, CORNELLC are two that I
can think of in the States.
--
        Nick Donaldson
Bitnet -                 Ndonald@UOFMCC or

agnew@trwrc.RC.TRW.COM (Robert A. Agnew) (10/06/89)

In article <31716@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> I remind the world once again that random use of uunet to route third-party
> mail is frowned upon.

Should I frown when your uunet mail comes across to my internet?

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (10/07/89)

>Should I frown when your uunet mail comes across to my internet?

Once more, in English, please?

UUNET does not exist to route mail for the known universe. It exists to
provide bidirectional mail and news service to its customers. Any other
services provided (like, say, the devastatingly large anonymous FTP
area) are secondary. If they get in the way of UUNET's primary purpose,
they may go away.

agnew@trwrc.RC.TRW.COM (Robert A. Agnew) (10/10/89)

In article <31774@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>Should I frown when your uunet mail comes across to my internet?
>
>Once more, in English, please?

OK -- I'll make it simple. When your users route to nodes in the usenet map,
and my nodes are in the list, your mail gets routed to the next node via
the quickest route, usually via internet. This takes hours or days off of
delivery.  If uucp users become so pesky, this service may go away.  The
concept of an internet was to be all networks seamlessly integrated. Folks
at Berkeley ought to know that! Besides why do usenet people register in
domain .COM. Why don't they register in domain .UUCP? This way we could filter
out uu traffic altogether :-).

cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) (10/10/89)

In article <31774@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>Should I frown when your uunet mail comes across to my internet?
>Once more, in English, please?
>UUNET does not exist to route mail for the known universe. It exists to
>provide bidirectional mail and news service to its customers. Any other
>services provided (like, say, the devastatingly large anonymous FTP
>area) are secondary. If they get in the way of UUNET's primary purpose,
>they may go away.

I don't understand what Bill's function is with 'uunet' and wish someone
would tell me. As a dues paying member of 'USENIX', it seem to me that
if 'uunet' can't provide both services to it's paying customers and the
USENET at large, why did we start 'uunet' in the first place. As a down
stream site, what does 'uunet' do for me that 'USENIX' should fund it
in the first place unless the funds it makes do something for the member-
ship that i'm not aware of at this time. As to the FTP area, that only works
for internet sites which may or may not need this service from 'uunet'
and excludes most uucp only sites from the same service of getting programs
that are stored for downloading.

--

Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp. -  DOMAIN  cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com
UUCP		{ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!cyrill

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (10/10/89)

You seem to misunderstand. UUNET is not a network. It is not an
interchangeable term for 'the UUCP network.' It is one specific
machine performing one specific service. Routing mail through the
Internet is another issue entirely (I'm for it). But the management
of UUNET do not wish to handle mail from random machines around the
world. It's their machine, and it's their choiuce to make.

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (10/10/89)

In article <31774@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>,
wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>Should I frown when your uunet mail comes across to my internet?
>Once more, in English, please?
>UUNET does not exist to route mail for the known universe. It exists to
>provide bidirectional mail and news service to its customers. Any other
>services provided (like, say, the devastatingly large anonymous FTP
>area) are secondary. If they get in the way of UUNET's primary purpose,
>they may go away.

On 9 Oct 89 17:25:08 GMT,
cyrill@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Cyro Lord) said:

Cyro> I don't understand what Bill's function is with 'uunet' and wish
Cyro> someone would tell me. As a dues paying member of 'USENIX', it seem
Cyro> to me that if 'uunet' can't provide both services to it's paying
Cyro> customers and the USENET at large, why did we start 'uunet' in the
Cyro> first place. As a down stream site, what does 'uunet' do for me that
Cyro> 'USENIX' should fund it in the first place unless the funds it makes
Cyro> do something for the membership that i'm not aware of at this time.
Cyro> As to the FTP area, that only works for internet sites which may or
Cyro> may not need this service from 'uunet' and excludes most uucp only
Cyro> sites from the same service of getting programs that are stored for
Cyro> downloading.

What 'bout me?  I'm neither a paying customer of UUNET nor am I a USENIX
member.  But golleee it sure is so much easier to let them do the work
than to actually *ask* someone or *look* for those durn gateways, it
doesn't cost anything, right?

I remember hearing some number such as $4000 (/mo or /yr I don't recall)
being used by Rick Adams on the info-nets mailing list.

TANSTAAFL, folks.  TANSTAAFL.
--
 Christopher Davis, BU SMG '90  <ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu> <smghy6c@buacca.bitnet>
 "Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand."

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (10/10/89)

As a dues paying member of Usenix, you are entitled to pay to use the
Uunet service. You are also entitled to pay to use the service if you
are a non dues paying member of Usenix (of which there are too many) or
even if you are not a member of Usenix. You are not entitled to
freeload, but currently, we chose to allow third party traffic and will
probably continue to do so as long as the paying customers do not
object. Note that declining to reject is quite a bit different than
accepting (morally if not functionally).

A Usenix member who had been paying attention would have known that
UUNET legally separated from Usenix on 1/1/89 and that being a Usenix
member was as relevant as being a member of the NRA when determining
"rights" to use UUNET. However,...

If Usenix were truly funding UUNET as you suggest, it would work out to
about $5,000 per member for 1989. (As I recall, I'm only paying $40 for
MY Usenix dues...) Fortunately, about 1000 sites are paying to use the
service, so the direct cost to Usenix members is zero.  (Thats
calculated as $1,500,000/3,000 for those who question the $5,000. The
1.5 million is accurate. The 3,000 is a guess. The actual number is
probably lower.)

What Usenix DID do (for which many of us are very grateful) is risk
Usenix money in starting the venture. UUNET has been self sufficient
for just about 1 year now.  Usenix is getting every cent of its startup
capital repaid under a mutually agreed to payment schedule.

It has been suggested that once per month, on a random day, uunet
reject all third party traffic. The concept is similar to having to
lock a gate on your property to prevent someone from claiming an
adverse easement (i.e. since you didn't stop them, you have implicitly
permitted them).

I dont expect things to ever come to that, however, it is tempting...

--rick

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (10/11/89)

In article <587@trwrc.RC.TRW.COM> agnew@trwrc.UUCP (Robert A. Agnew) writes:
|In article <31774@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
|>>Should I frown when your uunet mail comes across to my internet?
|>
|>Once more, in English, please?
[nonsensical gobbeldygook deleted]
|at Berkeley ought to know that! Besides why do usenet people register in
|domain .COM. Why don't they register in domain .UUCP? This way we could filter
|out uu traffic altogether :-).
First thing is, 'usenet people' don't register in domain .COM because
'usenet people' are scattered all over different nets.  If you modify your
question to be what I assume you meant, "why do uucp people register in domain
.COM?", it's because that's where they belong.  Or if they register in domain
.ORG, it's because that's where they belong.  Or ... well, you get the picture.
They don't register in domain .UUCP because it doesn't exist.

  Bill

--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |            r

clutx.clarkson.edu (Drew Derbyshire,,,9143397425) (10/14/89)

From article <31808@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, by wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner):
> You seem to misunderstand. UUNET is not a network. It is not an
> interchangeable term for 'the UUCP network.' It is one specific
> machine performing one specific service.

:soapbox.

Well, then they should drop off the internet, or refuse to be added to
the maps.  Well connected systems which exist to perform mail delivery
end up general gateways, unless they explicitly restrict mail delivery
channels.

My personal understanding of UUNET was that it was not limited to
'customers' but rather served as a not-for-profit backbone (along with
other sites) for UUCP; like any good backbone, it is well connected and
in a practical sense encourages good mail (i.e. by the fastest route).

UUNET's offer of anonymous ftp service clearly strengthens this, if it
wants to be known as UUCP host rather than a generic mail server, it should
drop the internet oriented services.

I LIKE UUNET the way it is.

:Esoapbox.

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu             Voice:  914-339-7425
   UUCP:   ahd@kendra.wf.ags.com         Snail mail:  578 Broadway, Apt 6
           uunet!agsnjt!kendra!ahd                    Kingston, NY 12401

ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (10/15/89)

From article <31808@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>,
by wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner):
> You seem to misunderstand. UUNET is not a network. It is not an
> interchangeable term for 'the UUCP network.' It is one specific
> machine performing one specific service.

On 14 Oct 89 14:39:03 GMT,
ahd@image.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu (Drew Derbyshire,,,9143397425) said:

Drew> :soapbox.

Drew> Well, then they should drop off the internet, or refuse to be added to
Drew> the maps.  Well connected systems which exist to perform mail delivery
Drew> end up general gateways, unless they explicitly restrict mail delivery
Drew> channels.

Which they have so far not done--not that they haven't thought of it, or
been tempted to do it.  Overuse of this sort of thing will probably cause
them to start bouncing mail.  [Disclaimer: I don't work there.  I've never
met anyone who works there personally.  I *have* used their anonymous ftp
service, at extremely off-peak hours...(college student hours, y'know :-)
and I'm sure I've kicked a goodly number of Kbytes of postings into their
newsfeeds.  I'm sort of the anti-Sy Sperling of UUNET: "I'm not the
President of the company--I'm not even a client."]

Drew> My personal understanding of UUNET was that it was not limited to
Drew> 'customers' but rather served as a not-for-profit backbone (along
Drew> with other sites) for UUCP; like any good backbone, it is well
Drew> connected and in a practical sense encourages good mail (i.e. by the
Drew> fastest route).

Drew> UUNET's offer of anonymous ftp service clearly strengthens this, if
Drew> it wants to be known as UUCP host rather than a generic mail server,
Drew> it should drop the internet oriented services.

Given that they are already paying for the Internet connection
($4000/month) to improve service for their customers, their offering of ftp
services and the like is reasonable (and much welcome, by me).

Drew> I LIKE UUNET the way it is.

Agreed.  Let's help keep it this way by not sending all our mail that's
"too hard to route" to them.

Drew> :Esoapbox.

Drew> Drew Derbyshire