[comp.mail.misc] need help with return addresses

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (10/18/89)

I'm going crazy hand-rolling return addresses to received mail.  I'm using
ELM 2.2 [PL10] (yes I know there's a patch #11, but I'm too busy to install
it just now).  Following is a modified version of a query I sent to a couple
of folks who I thought might be able to help, but I guess they've been too
busy to respond.

Here's what I sent (the site name has been replaced with "foobar" to protect
the innocent):

Back in April, we exchanged a couple of messages regarding a problem I started
to experience then, having to do with dealing with messages passing through
foobar.  I just installed smail, and have been motivated to take a closer look
at how mail addressing works, and think I have discovered the problem I
reported earlier, and have a suggested fix.

To refresh your memory, here's an excerpt of our earlier correspondence:

||To:foobar!manager Tue Apr 18 12:46:56 1989
||Date: Tue, 18 Apr 89 12:46:56 EDT
||To: foobar!manager
||Subject: problem with mail headers
||Greetings.
||I just wanted to bring to your attention that sometime within the past week,
||there has been a change in the format of the ">From" line in messages received
||via uucp from foobar.  This change has resulted in a couple of unpleasant con-
||sequences relative to the ELM mail system.  I am not sufficiently aware of
||what the RFC822 standard says regarding mail headers and their parsing to
||claim that the change is outside the spec.  Nor do I know if version 2.2 of
||ELM might deal more gracefully with the change, as I have not yet installed
||that recently-released version.  What I do know is that the change is going
||to be hard to accomodate unless it is dealt with or can be dealt with by
||a change in how the message header is parsed by ELM.
||First, here's the sort of thing I used to get:
||>From decwrl.dec.com!escd!es37!user  Tue Apr 11 16:55:40 1989 remote from foobar.harvard.edu
||Now I get:
||>From escd!es37!user@decwrl.dec.com  Fri Apr 14 20:55:28 1989

[BTW, I did just install ELM version 2.2 (PL10), and notice no difference with
 respect to the reported difficulty.]

You replied to my earlier note:

|sorry, I did not see the previous message.
|
|The address you site is a totaly legit 822 address ( as a mater of fact
|it is the style that is suggested by most people working in the area and
|is the form that all internet address are in )
|
|I think that you should look into fixing ELM since it would need to
|be fixed if you ( or anyone using ELM ) were ever to be on the internet.

Well, the problem is not with the address, but with the absence of the
"remote from ..." information in the ">From" line.  After careful ex-
perimentation, I have discovered that, if one is not relying on the
address information contained in the "From:" line (which I am not, as
I have found it to be inconsistent and unreliable), the only way the
reply feature of ELM can determine the return address is by constructing
a return path based on what's in the ">From" line.  It does so by con-
catenating the hostname given in the "remote from <hostname>" part of
the line to the rest of the address.  Thus, in the example I mentioned
earlier:

	>From escd!es37!user@decwrl.dec.com  Fri Apr 14 20:55:28 1989

if the line had a "remote from foobar" at the end, ELM could create a valid
return address "foobar!escd!es37!user@decwrl.dec.com" easily.  (Yes, I know
the "escd!es37" part is non-essential, but I think it doesn't hurt, as it
can be stripped and replaced by sendmail in the remote host.)

Whether or not one is using smail (or sendmail, for that matter, which I
have also installed), the above would permit one to use the reply command,
instead of having to laboriously roll their own return address.

Now there could be some way I could get sendmail to paste the name of the
host a message came from into the header.  In fact, I'd be rather dis-
appointed in it if it couldn't.  However, I haven't yet gotten into the
baroque details of how to configure the thing yet.  In any case, I suspect
it would be fairly easy for you folks to restore the "remote from ..."
information.

In any case, thanks for listening.

	Gary

--
Gary S. Trujillo			      gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts		      {wjh12,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (10/18/89)

In <399@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
 >Well, the problem is not with the address, but with the absence of the
 >"remote from ..." information in the ">From" line.  After careful ex-
 >perimentation, I have discovered that, if one is not relying on the
 >address information contained in the "From:" line (which I am not, as
 >I have found it to be inconsistent and unreliable) ...

I assume that by ">From" you really mean the "From_" (_ == space) line
line that is the UUCP "envelope"?  Ouch.  Don't count on that.  Count
on the From: line.  Sites are much more likely to leave that alone,
and have it a correct domain address, then they are the From_ line,
which is usually mangled by every UUCP site along the way, but not
all of them....
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.