[comp.mail.misc] Mailing to NASA...

drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) (10/27/89)

  Does anyone know if there is a gateway from the Internet/Usenet into
nasamail?  I am trying to reach a user at Lewis Research Center in
Cleveland, OH, and need a gateway.  I know that they have access to
the following:
gtemail
telemail
tm11
tnet.telemail
mail/usa

  If I can gateway into any of these, I should be able to get to
nasamail... (but, knowing mailers...)
--
- Dan Rich              |                           |   Dialogic Corporation
  drich@dialogic.UUCP   | - Time is an illusion.    |   300 Littleton Rd

foster@seismo.CSS.GOV (Glen Foster) (10/28/89)

In article <978@dialogic.UUCP> drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) writes:

>  Does anyone know if there is a gateway from the Internet/Usenet into
>nasamail?

Try: user@nasamail.nasa.gov where user is the person's NASAmail
(Telemail) mailbox.

cew@venera.isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (10/28/89)

In article <978@dialogic.UUCP> drich@dialogic.UUCP (Dan Rich) writes:

>  Does anyone know if there is a gateway from the Internet/Usenet into
>nasamail?  I am trying to reach a user at Lewis Research Center in
>Cleveland, OH, and need a gateway.  I know that they have access to
>the following:
>gtemail
>telemail
>tm11
>tnet.telemail
>mail/usa
>
>  If I can gateway into any of these, I should be able to get to
>nasamail... (but, knowing mailers...)

These TELENET hosts (domains) are accessible through the Commercial Mail
Relay.  I think that all of them use "/USA" ("mail/usa" is the only complete
host name in the list).

The general syntax is:

	 [user/organization]host/country%TELEMAIL@Intermail.ISI.EDU

NASA Ames also runs an Internet to TELEMAIL link (well, last I checked they
did).  Theirs is more specific to NASA aims, e.g. users can register and have
their mail sent and received for them.

NASA is also MX'ed in the Internet.  Below is a message I saved from
Info-Nets:

   Date:    Thu, 30 Mar 89 11:39:57 PST
   From: tencati%jplgp.span@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov
   Subject: Re: Gateways to SPAN / Internet
   To: Info-Nets@Think.COM

   There are several nodes on the internet that are also part of SPAN.
   These are fully documented in file available from Goddard Space Flight
   Center.  Information can be gotten from NETMGR@NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV.
   Reference the "Instructions for Sending Internet Mail".  The above
   address is for the SPAN Network Information Center.  All SPAN inquiries
   should be directed at the NSSDC (Nat'l. Space Science Data Center).

   The following table is an incomplete listing of computers capable of
   routing mail between the Internet and SPAN:

   Internet Gateway	      SPAN-Gateway               Other Network
      Node Name                   Node Name                  Connectivity

   NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV		NSSDCA::
   VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV		JPLLSI::
   STAR.STANFORD.EDU		STAR::
   HAMLET.CALTECH.EDU		HAMLET::		  HAMLET (Bitnet)
   IO.ARC.NASA.GOV	(?)		IO::

   In General, the syntax for sending mail from Internet-->SPAN is the following:

   	To: User%<SpanNode>.SPAN@<Internet-Gateway-Node>

   And from Span-->Internet, the following works:

   	To: <Span-Gateway>::"User@Host.Domain"

       (Note the use of the double-quotes in the address)

   Ron Tencati                     ARPA:   TENCATI%JPLGP.SPAN@VLSI.JPL.NASA.GOV
   Jet Propulsion Laboratory       ARPA:   TENCATI@GPVAX.JPL.NASA.GOV
   Pasadena, Ca. 91109             SPAN:   JPLGP::TENCATI
   (818) 354-8359                BitNet:   TENCATI%GPVAX.JPL.NASA.GOV@HAMLET

Hope this helps.

ARPA: 	Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu>
PHONE:	(213)822-1511 ext. 111
USPS:	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 1100
	Marina del Rey, CA 90292
Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"