[comp.mail.misc] pc mail software

tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) (11/10/89)

I am looking for a mail program that will run on a standard PC that
will allow the composition, reading and sending of messages, where the
mail files can be read/deposited into a spool directory for transfer
by some mechanism (ftp/kermit/whatever).  The mail format required
is the JANET/RFC822 style, though if I had sources I could tweak it.

We run elm on our Unix systems and this interface would be ideal
bar it being apparently heavily unix-oriented.  Has anyone tried
porting the source to a PC?  I may try this myself, though it may
not be trivial!

I would be extremely grateful for any info available.  I have
access to anonymous ftp in the US.

Many thanks,
		Tim Chown
		tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk

argv%turnpike@Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (11/16/89)

In article <1438@ecs.soton.ac.uk> tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Tim Chown) writes:
> I am looking for a mail program that will run on a standard PC that
> will allow the composition, reading and sending of messages, where the
> We run elm on our Unix systems and this interface would be ideal
> bar it being apparently heavily unix-oriented.  Has anyone tried
> porting the source to a PC?  I may try this myself, though it may
> not be trivial!

Mush can do this and it's much better than Elm  :-) :-)

There is a PC-version of mush available from ucbvax:pub/mailers/mush.dos.arc

It has also been submitted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, but I don't know if
it was posted since I don't read that newsgroup.
dan