[comp.mail.misc] Link to GEnie

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) (11/11/89)

In article <3881@ur-cc.UUCP> nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Nicholas Leon Susch) writes:
>Is there an internet link to GEnie? If there is, how do you use it? Thanks

There have been a couple of VERY experimental links set up by individuals, but
as yet there isn't anything that's available for public use. I believe that
this is something that GEnie is very interested in doing, and you could
probably expect to see something more official sometime soon.
--
David Kozinn            | UUCP:      {rutgers | uunet}!cbmvax!cgh!monymys!david
MONY Financial Services	| UUCP:      ...!rutgers!princeton!mccc!monymsys!david

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (11/15/89)

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) sez:
> nsus_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Nicholas Leon Susch) sez:
>>Is there an internet link to GEnie? If there is, how do you use it? Thanks
>
> There have been a couple of VERY experimental links set up by individuals, but
> as yet there isn't anything that's available for public use. I believe that
> this is something that GEnie is very interested in doing, and you could
> probably expect to see something more official sometime soon.

I mailed FEEDBACK at GEnie, and asked this very question. The response
said (in effect) there is no link, but investigation is in progress for
setting up something. NO GUARANTEE was given that a GEnie / Internet
gateway would ever come into being. I guess that only time will tell.

The main problem with an individual setting up a gateway is that the
traffic would be rather large, and posting all the mail would require
being online almost 24 hours a day. Much more efficient would be to
hook into GEnie's system directly as has been done with CI$, and drop
the stuff off with an Internet link.

			Here's hoping.....
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) (11/20/89)

In article <748@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
   [stuff deleted]

>The main problem with an individual setting up a gateway is that the
>traffic would be rather large, and posting all the mail would require
>being online almost 24 hours a day. Much more efficient would be to
>hook into GEnie's system directly as has been done with CI$, and drop
>the stuff off with an Internet link.

This is certainly one of the largest problems. Another consideration with
going through an individual gateway involves security. Sure, any mail going
out through the internet can easily be read, altered, etc. by anyone with the
proper privs on any machine that it goes through, but I'm sure that GE's
lawyers are closely studying the ramifications of passing relatively secure,
private mail (originating on GEnie) out through the non-secure,
non-guaranteed-delivery world of the internet.
--

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov20.015352.4051@monymsys.uucp> david@monymsys.UUCP (David Kozinn) writes:
> Another consideration with [a GEnie link]
>going through an individual gateway involves security. Sure, any mail going
>out through the internet can easily be read, altered, etc. by anyone with the
>proper privs on any machine that it goes through, but I'm sure that GE's
>lawyers are closely studying the ramifications of passing relatively secure,
>private mail (originating on GEnie) out through the non-secure,
>non-guaranteed-delivery world of the internet.

Surely this is a non-issue.  Just as with FAX and snail mail delivery
options, once it's out GEnie's door their liability is at an end.  They
need do no more than make this clear in the Internet link documentation.
The bottom line is, CIS and MCIMAIL do it, so GEnie will do it sooner or
later to compete.

Nevertheless a private gateway could be a real nuisance, as GEnie loses
control over how the feature is being implemented.  And while they may
have little legal liability for gateway security and reliability, it's
still in their competitive business interest to make any gateway the
best it can be.  Joe Schmoe noodling messages along as and when he feels
like it does not put GEnie's best foot forward in the net.sweepstakes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest hurdle to a gateway right now
were those gas-powered Victorian mainframes they use...

--
"Of course, this is a, this is a Hunt, you   |  Tom Neff
will -- that will uncover a lot of things.   |  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET