[comp.mail.misc] Jail postmasters

pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) (11/26/89)

I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.

Does have anyone a better idea of improving this human component of
networking?
-=-
Peter Dotzauer: Numerical Cartography Lab, Dept. of Geography, OSU, Columbus, OH
         VOICE: (614) 292-1357  FAX: 292-9180  DATA: 293-0081
        BITNET: ts3285@ohstvma UUCP: ...!osu-cis!hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu!pjd
          FIDO: 1:226/50   INTERNET: pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu [128.146.1.5]

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (11/26/89)

In article <496@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:
>I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
>for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.

There are a number of reasons for this kind of problem.

1. Postmaster is aliased to  "root", and nobody reads root's mail.  I
   would estimate that mail to root on most workstations gets ignored
   until it causes a space problem, at which time it is cleaned out,
   but not read.

2. Mail to the postmaster(s) gets ignored because it usually consists of
   messages about misspelled usernames or alias loops (many sites
   alias MAILER-DAEMON to postmaster).

3. The person who gets stuck with postmaster mail has no idea how to
   answer your question, and puts it on the "stack" to get looked at,
   and it just hasn't gotten important enough.

Improvement requires a responsible and responsive person.  If such a
person isn't present, there's not a whole lot you can do.  Sending
repeated messages isn't a good solution, since it bothers the person
in question, and annoys you.

One thing you can do is to look in the map postings.  If a phone
number and name are given, call the person on the phone.  If an
additional email address is given, send to that address.  Personal
rapport with the staff at other companies can be useful in the
future.

A final thing you can try is to look for the site or domain in question
in the files in the news spool directory, and send to everyone you
see.  That way, you get mail to real people at the site.

Whatever you do, make sure that they know you sent them mail as
postmaster and got no response.  If they know postmaster messages
contain meaningful messages, they may be less likely to ignore them.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

dboyes@rice.edu (David Boyes) (11/26/89)

In article <496@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:
>[what to do with postmasters who don't read their mail]
>Does have anyone a better idea of improving this human component of
>networking?

Saw a button at VM Workshop:

"The more I deal with electronic mail, the more I understand
terrorism."

>Peter Dotzauer
>pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

--
David Boyes      "... no love was left; All Earth was but one thought - and
dboyes@rice.edu   that was death Immediate and inglorious; and the pang of

fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) (11/27/89)

pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:

>I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
>for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.

There's a fair chance that the postmaster is "ignoring" you because
he's on vacation with nobody reading his mail, because he only gets
around to reading "postmaster" mail once in a while because of the
time pressure of his real job, or because there's a mail-eating demon
between you and him.

It's real unlikely he's just deliberately ignoring you.  I wouldn't
assume this unless some other proof showed up.

>Does have anyone a better idea of improving this human component of
>networking?

In the UUCP world, get his real phone no. from the maps and call him.
In the Internet world, "whois" him, and call him.  Grep the news for
for other people at his site, and write to them asking them what's
going on.  In the UUCP world, write to the postmasters of his UUCP
neighbors asking for help.  If all else fails, post a message to the
net - he's almost guaranteed to hear about it, even if he doesn't see
it himself.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   fitz@wang.com          Type-casting is the software
Wang Labs        ...!uunet!wang!fitz    equivalent of KY Jelly.
Lowell MA, USA   1-508-967-5278

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (11/27/89)

>I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
>for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.

A good way to ensure a more prompt response is to enclose your
politely-worded inquiry in an envelope along with a nice crisp $5 note.

Urgent inquiries justify the inclusion of at least $20, particularly
if a return telephone call is required.

Pounds Sterling are also acceptable.

	Brian Kantor	SCUD Postmaster

bei@puzzle.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) (11/27/89)

In article <1989Nov26.045020.9447@smsc.sony.com> dce@icky.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
  postmaster aliases ]

>Whatever you do, make sure that they know you sent them mail as
>postmaster and got no response.  If they know postmaster messages
>contain meaningful messages, they may be less likely to ignore them.

I make a point of it to help out anyone who sends mail about something that
bounced or someone they're trying to contact.  But... not too long ago, I came
in on Monday morning to see that sendmail on our NFS server had lost track of
our "machine with modems."  My mailbox was full of bounced messages, and
most of the machines were nodes on people's desks that weren't known to
the nameserver we use.  I could have researched each bounced message, found
the users who wrote them, mailed them the original text plus error to be
resent, and count on it's being able to be delivered.  The mentors I asked
about this agreed that it wasn't worth chasing the authors down, so the
bounce messages got deleted.
It's perhaps easier on Internet or amongst uucp sites.  >Somebody< is bound
to have a smart host nearby that knows about an element of the path.  I do
wonder, though, whether most people would give up if the message to the
author of a bounced letter itself bounces?
-- Bob
                     Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates
         attctc!puzzle!bei  (or)   cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!evil-ed!bei

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (11/29/89)

In article <496@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:
>I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
>for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.
>
>Does have anyone a better idea of improving this human component of
>networking?

Like Brian (sorta) said: be kind to him.

Chances are he's some poor harrassed fellow who got stuck with the job
because no-one else either could or would do it.

I gotta protest the suggestions of waging pseudo-terrorism by grep-ing
/usr/spool/news and mailing everybody you see, etc.  This is likely to only
cause irritation and alot of needless mail activity.

My best suggestion is to talk to your local postmaster - he should be aware
of the various methods for contacting responsible people on various
networks.  Perhaps he can even solve your problem without involving people
at remote sites.

Andy (have you kissed your postmaster today?) Poling

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY@JHUVMS
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (301)338-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!gollum!andy

fitz@wang.UUCP (Tom Fitzgerald) (12/01/89)

> I gotta protest the suggestions of waging pseudo-terrorism by grep-ing
> /usr/spool/news and mailing everybody you see, etc.  This is likely to only
> cause irritation and alot of needless mail activity.

This is not terrorism if you do it right.  If I were doing this, I'd
locate the most sophisticated poster (somebody posting sources is a good
bet, somebody posting questions to news.newusers.questions probably not),
and write them one (1) letter asking for the sysadmin's name, and whether
people there know about the problem.  If this doesn't work, get one more
name and send one (1) more message, etc.

Terrorism is the last thing you want in a case like this.  A pissed off
sysadmin is unlikely to help solve problems for you.  If the sysadmin
is not reading (or getting) his mail, you need to do _something_.

---
Tom Fitzgerald   fitz@wang.com          It's a mistake to believe that
Wang Labs        ...!uunet!wang!fitz    the die is cast.  In reality, it
Lowell MA, USA   1-508-967-5278         is injection-molded.

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (12/01/89)

(Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:

> I propose stiff sentences for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.

You think that's bad?  I once sent mail to somesite!postmaster and it
bounced with "unknown user".  I commented on this to the postmaster of
the next system back this way along the bang-path, and found out that
the sysadmin at the Postmaster-less site was new, and unfamiliar with
mail.  I think the problem probably got fixed, but haven't had occasion
to find out for sure.

Closer to home, no one was reading the postmaster's mail here for some
time after our previous sysadmin left.  When I found out that there was
such a job, I read through the old stuff and have been keeping up since --
fortunately it turned out that the only mail there was from various
mailer-daemons.

If unable to connect with Postmaster somewhere, you could try "news",
"usenet", and/or "root", or check with a neighboring postmaster.  If
all else fails, there's always the phone.

--
  Perry Hutchison
  closest thing ccssrv has to a Postmaster

bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) (12/02/89)

It's often more useful to query the next level up in the domain.  For example,
you might not get an answer from postmaster@arbitrarymachinename.hig.hawaii.edu,
but you will get a reply if you query postmaster@hig.hawaii.edu (me),
or postmaster@hawaii.edu.

Another thing worth trying, if you're on the Internet, is
"finger @somewhere" which actually seems to work most of the time.
Bob Cunningham
Hawaii Institute of Geophysics, University of Hawaii
bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (12/02/89)

In article <496@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:
> I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
> for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.

My policy as a point of contact for electronic inquiries has always
been to refer the inquiry to the person who is the subject of the
inquiry.

That is, rather than replying to your request for Joe Blow's email
address, I will forward your request to Joe and let him decide what
to do with it.  Blame Joe for not responding, not me.

If you don't like this arrangement, pick up the telephone and call Joe.

--
Bob Weissman, USENET admin for omni.com
Internet:	bob@omni.com

wcn@max.u.washington.edu (W C Newell Jr) (12/02/89)

In article <1267@borabora.omni.com>, bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
> In article <496@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:
>> I do not believe in the death penalty, but I propose stiff sentences
>> for postmasters who repeatedly ignore inquiries.
>
> My policy as a point of contact for electronic inquiries has always
> been to refer the inquiry to the person who is the subject of the
> inquiry.

This is my policy too, unless the person's e-mail address is published in the
staff directory.  Many of our users choose to keep their e-mail addresses
confidential.  Many others are isolated on a departmental system, or have no
account at all, and we'd have to contact the person by voice to find out.  It
is not practical for our staff to assume this responsibility, given a campus
pop. of 50,000.

We do try to reply to all inquiries, and we encourage users to contact their
friends and colleagues by voice or surface mail to facilitate exchange of
e-mail addresses.  Some replies may bounce.  Sometimes a query can get lost in
the shuffle.  I get an average of 100 mail messages/day, not counting what is
sent to postmaster, which at our site is handled by several people.  Of course,
I can't speak for other sites.  An admin of a departmental system may not look
at postmaster or root for weeks at a time.

"Terrorism", as defined by other articles in this thread, is >NOT< the way to
go, unless you really want to be ignored.  If the admin of a departmental
system does not respond, it is OK to try a higher-level domain.

> If you don't like this arrangement, pick up the telephone and call Joe.

Absolutely.  If there are extenuating circumstances, give us the details and
we'll see what we can do.  Usually this means sending you the address of a
contact in the department, if we know of one.

Other points:  I give priority attention to postmasters and consultants from
other sites.  This is not done to be cliquish, but rather to share expertise,
since the topology changes daily and we're all struggling to keep up.  Thus it
pays to befriend your local mail wizard.  I also investigate problems with
bouncing mail, so if you try an address at this site that should work but
doesn't, it helps a lot to send me a copy of the message header.  Last but not
least, some of the articles in this group are UNIX-specific, and it is
important to recognize that a lot of e-mail addresses are on non-UNIX systems.
Some suggestions won't work with non-UNIX mailers.  In fact, an increasing
number of non-UNIX sysadmins read this newsgroup.

Bill Newell
Systems Analyst, Applications Consulting Group
University of Washington
WCN@MAX.U.WASHINGTON.EDU

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/06/89)

In article <880@ccssrv.UUCP> perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
>If unable to connect with Postmaster somewhere, you could try "news",
>"usenet", and/or "root",...

Consulting my BITNET-English/English-BITNET dictionary, I find:

     postmaster.  n.  non-BITNET name for what we call POSTMAST.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi